PDA

View Full Version : CBT Counselling

Cococj
23-07-08, 12:50
Hi,

Well having been on and off drugs in the past to help control my anxiety and panic attacks along with my depression I finally went along to see my GP again last week and asked if I could maybe be referred for some counselling as I've had along period on near-normalcy between my two major periods of anxiety I want to try something that will help me in the long term. The GP said this wasn't possible at the moment. Now what's not helping is that fact I'm in a one doctor surgery and there's no permanent doctor there at the moment so they may not be so good on the services available or my condition but I was hoping someone here could possibly point me in the right direction to get this help or see if it's available...

Chris

joyce1980
23-07-08, 13:21
No problem here, go to your nearest hospital and talk to the Crisis team ( psyc nurses ) they will be able to order you nhs CBT or any other type of treatment if they feel thats what you need.

Good for you! I'm glad your taking this into your own hands.

I did this and although I am on meds now perm (Paroxetine) the cbt does get interesting in the 4th session, so hold out if you don't like it too much.

Good luck:hugs:

Snowshadow
23-07-08, 17:46
I've had anxiety/panic/depression/agoraphobia for many years now... and I must say that CBT is incredible. Unfortunately I still need to be on medication, but CBT honestly changed my life. It does take some time and practice, but it is SO worth it!!!! My psychiatrist made me go, and to be honest, I was reluctant. But I'm SO glad he did. I did CBT in the 90s and since then my agoraphobia is SO much better... I'm going places I NEVER would have believed I could go to!!! I can't say enough good things about CBT and really really hope you can get started with it soon. It does take some work, like I said, but the rewards are incredible. Plus anyone I know who has done CBT has only great things to say about it, unless they didn't give it a chance. Good luck!!! :)