PDA

View Full Version : NHS bureaucratic nightmare!

countrygirl
23-07-08, 22:22
My GP referred me for an mri of my lumbar spine and sacro illiac region and pelvis last week. in my health authority gp referrals for mri go to the mobile scanners not the ones in the hospitals they are only for consultants. Got a letter of the company contracted to do the scan asking me to ring them for appt.
Rang and was told the next date a scanner was in my area would be August 17th but they couldnt make me an appt as that would be longer than 21days from being referred and that the nhs insists that if they can't scan someone within 21 days the referral goes back to the gp so they can start all over again and hope that the second referral can be done within the 21 days or this could go on and on!!!!!!! Its completely mad. I rang my GP and the receptionist said it was madness and they were having to re refer all the time becuase of the 21 day rule. I rang to tell the GP that if my referral came back before 1st august not to re send it until 1st august otherwise I would once again be outside the 21 day rule.
Does anyone know who I can complain to about this - gp is tearing her hair out at all the xtra work and its just ridiculous but have never complained about anything so don't know where to start.
Not to mention the stress of my worrying that I will not get my scan on 17th August just because of this stupid rule.

lesleya
24-07-08, 00:52
Hi
Your right its pure madness.
Try contacting P.A.L.S (patient advice and liason service) you will find these people are really really good, They help when you are having difficulties resolving issues and they will liase on your behalf to try and resolve your problems about treatment or any concerns you have. You can usually pick up a leaflet about them at your local hopsitals too. If you ring nhs direct they will be able to give you a contact number for a branch in your local health authority.
Give it a try. Good luck