PDA

View Full Version : Claire Weekes - Books

mico
30-04-05, 19:31
Wasn't sure where to put this topic, so I thought this was a good place to start. Nic, feel free to move the topic around at will.

Firstly. I was recommended Claire Weekes's books by a lot of members from this forum (which mean a lot of you have already read them, but anyway..). So, I bought some. And I've been impressed ever since.

She describes all aspects of anxiety in a simple, understandable, but also very knowledgable way. These books were written as far back as the early 1960's (maybe even 50's, I don't know) yet still appear to be highly regarded, which just stands to testament of how good they are.

The main key points in the books are:
Facing
Accepting
Floating
Letting time pass

All of her books (at least what I have read) are based on this simple sequence to help you recover from any kind of 'nervous illness'. Claire Weekes seems to have an uncanny ability to understand anxiety issues in the way that she did. I honestly don't know if she ever suffered herself, maybe somebody here could tell me? She definately gives you the impression that she did just through her understanding alone, but I have never actually heard her mention it.

Anyway, I've been trying to persuade everyone I come across to buy these books, so I thought I'd put a little more effort into that :D. Really though, these books have helped make many things more clear to me. Things that I have previously understood, yet I feel the context in which she explains things in such a simple way has helped me a lot to further my understanding of some important issues.

The books I have are:
Self-Help for you Nerves - one of her earlier, but still very good, books
Essential Help for you Nerves - This is two books rolled into one (More Help for your Nerves, and Peace from Nervous Suffering), and are her later books. I would recommend them all! :D

There's another thing I wanted to bring up while on this subject, mainly for Nic. I understand there is a book recommendations page on this site, but some of the reviews and such are a little vague and it seems to be updated about once every four years [B)]. Sorry Nic. No, I just wanted to say, books are good, books are helpful, there should be a place to discuss them. Maybe everyone is already doing this in the books forum :), but in all honesty i haven't looked in there [:I]. I don't want to swap any books, they're all mine!! [^]) Just a sugestion really. It's just that I'm sure there are some truly life-changing books out there (ones more specific to peoples problems too) and the site could do with some kind of area with a well researched guide. Whether that be well researched by the admin here, or by the forum members. Basically I would just like to see a good knowledge base regarding books, in any kind of form.

Wow, I can write for weeks about anything

mico

nomorepanic
30-04-05, 19:35
Hiya Mico

I love her too - she had some sound advice!!

The books page is a bit vague and out of date. What I will try to do on the new site is make it more like the new links page where you can rate it and make comments etc.

Maybe we can do it that people can add new book titles etc.

I will look into it mate so cheers for that

Nicola

seh1980
30-04-05, 19:43
I still haven't read any of her books..[:O] will have to be my mission over the next month..

florence
30-04-05, 21:15
Hi Mico , excellent post ( as usual :) )

Yeah, I have read "Self help for your nerves", and I agree with you , she's awsome !
I am looking forward to reading more books of hers, I do need motivation tho, I am not a book person [:I].
While I am here, can I suggest another book?
"The curse of the strong" by Tim Cantopher...A very good book.

Thank you.
Take care.
Florence.x

**A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.**

Piglet
01-05-05, 11:20
Totally agree about the Claire Weekes books - they are brill I found the first one (I'd have to check the title) helped me the most.

I think it would be great to have a books page, as Mico says, as some books really can make a difference (I've few I'd like to recommend as having helped).

The main way I choose books is on the Amazon site reading reviews and I think this does cut down on wasting money.

Will look forward to that.

Love Piglet

kairen
01-05-05, 20:07
I have not read these books but will look out for them, i did not realise b4 i found this site, how much information there was on the subject. cheers for that

kairen x

fran
01-05-05, 23:56
i personally found her books veryhelpul

fran

maxine
04-05-05, 14:55
I still haven't got round to buying those books from what i've heard they are a fatastic read.:D