PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack After Deep Relaxation

polly123
24-07-08, 08:09
Hi Everyone.
I need some advice please.Can anyone tell me why i seem to have a panic attack after deep relaxation?? Yesterday evening i was listening to a paul mckenna cd which was wonderful it sent me into a lovely calm feeling of relaxation, then a few hours later just as i was dropping off to sleep WOLLOP a panic attack hit me, it came from nowhere the same thing happend last year when i went for crysal healing.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me please because now im to scared to listen to the cd again and i really thought it was going to help me.
Thanks for reading this post, and i hope somebody can give me the answer
POLLY

jewels26
24-07-08, 10:06
Hi Polly

ok, your panick is your little monster. (i actually name mine, bert) you are trying to train your body to do something it's not used to doing. so when you are starting to relax your body it says " hey wait a moment, this isn't right. i'm used to anxiety. not this feeling of calm. your not going to get rid of me that easily "

unfortunately it doesn't work quickly and is about sticking with it. what you will find over time is they will become less severe. it's about saying to yourself you know it's anxiety and it will take time. i see relaxation as time for myself and well deserved. i believe we should all do it whether an anxiety sufferer or not. life is so stressful.

i hope this is helpful

Julie :)

kellie
24-07-08, 10:19
Hiya polly
I agree with jewels
Ive heard quite a few times of ppl going into a panic attack after deep relaxation
MY hubbie was one of them
Dont fear this keep up with your relaxation and it will pass when your body learns that to be relaxed is ok. Its kind of like when you get a new symptom that you aint had before and it feels weird to your body

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxx

polly123
24-07-08, 10:21
Hiya Jewels
Thanks for your advice, never thought of it as training, or is it retraining lol, but i will stick with it you are right its a me timeand is deserved.
Thanks again POLLY

polly123
24-07-08, 10:22
Hiya Kellie
Thanks to you to for your helpful advice, feel a bit better now knowing that im not the only one that this has happend to,
POLLY

Venus Calling
24-07-08, 13:59
My friend is blaming Paul McKenna for my PA's starting! As well as being made redundant I started listening to his I Can Make You Thin CD. I wouldn't have thought it possible but it's deep relaxation isn't it? I awoke in a panic whilst listening to a relaxation PA cd on Sunday night having just fallen asleep also.

What Jewels says makes sense though - thanks because it concerned me too! :D

jenfromdenver
24-07-08, 16:09
i agree with everyone else. sometimes doing something thats "new" is all it takes to start a cycle of panic. ive noticed that certain deep breathing exercises make me panicky. the deep breathing makes me lightheaded (cuz im not used to it) whcih then makes me panic, which then spirals from there.

it could be thats just not the relaxation technique for you. or maybe you just need to break through the wall and keep going. but whichever, best of luck with it. it will come to you in time. :)

jewels26
25-07-08, 02:13
hi

polly- you are right i was mean't to say re-train oooops lol

hi Jen- the light headedness is a normal reaction when you are relaxing your body. infact from what i have been told it shows the relaxation technique is working for you

Julie :)

orangeblossom
26-07-08, 19:42
Hi,

Yes - I know just what you mean. I've tried 2 Paul McKenna cds and also one that my therapist gave me to help me relax fully and deeply. I stopped using the Paul McKenna ones, but continued with the one my therapist gave me, and gradually the amount of anxiety I experienced afterwards (whether directly after or a while afterwards) began to diminish.

My therapist told me pretty much what Jewel said!! Your mind and body are simply not used to relaxing and the amount of stress your mind causes you increases briefly because the mind/anxiety feels as if it is losing its control over you and allowing you to do things you wouldn't ordinarily do when you are really anxious.

Persevere! I know its hard, but you can do it!

Love,
xxx

polly123
27-07-08, 07:00
Thanks everybody for your replies, its been a few days now since i posted this and ive taken the advice given and persiverd with it and i canhonestly say it was worth it, Thanks agian POLLY

orangeblossom
28-07-08, 12:46
Hi Polly,

So glad to hear that!!

Well done!