PDA

View Full Version : Want to make some sense of it all...

Venus Calling
24-07-08, 23:04
I have rotator cuff syndrome in both my shoulders which affects my neck, arms and hands (riddled with for arthritis 20+ years now). I have had this shoulder problem for about five years and am unable to raise my arms above my head or put them behind my back and my arms are weak. I get dull aches, tingling, numbness, shooting pains and sometimes am unable to get a cup or fork to my mouth. Apparently my shoulders and neck could also be causing the referred pain I have in my chest. My doctor reckons the sensations I get from this is causing my anxiety - I've had it for so long I can't understand why it should start affecting me like this as I know the pain is from my shoulders. I can honestly say I haven't worried about my shoulders - the chest pain was pronounced 'nothing' by A & E and I find it so annoying that my mind is making me believe something is wrong with me when in theory I know there isn't! Does that make sense?!!

Does anyone have any ideas how I can nip the PA in the bud the moment I sense the weird sensations? I've tried the deep relaxation and deep breathing when it starts, it comes in waves that last for hours with all the other symptoms of an upset stomach and wanting to freak out. I'm trying not to let it take over but found it really hard keeping it together today whilst in the cinema - I did it but it was really difficult.

I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac which I know some members of my family now think I am - husband included.

Sorry for the long moan but it's really getting to me that I can't just shrug it off. :weep:

marie1974
24-07-08, 23:06
hi hun sorry i cant help u with this but felt like u could use a hug :bighug1: xxxxxxxx

kahi35
25-07-08, 00:26
Hi I have had these sensations too but do you get dizzy too?

Trixie
25-07-08, 06:10
Do your shoulders really hurt at night when you are lying down?

Venus Calling
25-07-08, 08:34
Thanks for the replies - and the hug (don't squeeze too tight!!) :)

I've only had the dizzy feeling once and that was when I was out last Friday.

My shoulders are extremely painful at night! Turning over makes me cry out sometimes as the pain is quite sharp. I often wake up with complete numbness, especially in my right arm, down one side to include the last two fingers. I'm doing some stretching exercises to help specific muscles groups and to stretch the spine but I only started these a week ago.

Trixie
25-07-08, 14:37
Thanks for the replies - and the hug (don't squeeze too tight!!) :)

I've only had the dizzy feeling once and that was when I was out last Friday.

My shoulders are extremely painful at night! Turning over makes me cry out sometimes as the pain is quite sharp. I often wake up with complete numbness, especially in my right arm, down one side to include the last two fingers. I'm doing some stretching exercises to help specific muscles groups and to stretch the spine but I only started these a week ago.

I wonder if you have 'frozen shoulders'?

Venus Calling
25-07-08, 15:48
From what I know about frozen shoulder, it's generally only in one shoulder and would take about 30 months to heal and I've had this for five years and both shoulders are affected. It's all to do with my arthritis as I have bone spurs in the shoulder joints which showed up in x-rays. I just find it strange that now when I feel a weird sensation I panic about it when nothing I am feeling is new. It's really bothering me. I've got a counselling session in two weeks so it will be interesting to see what that brings out.

Trixie
25-07-08, 15:57
I suffer from frozen shoulders in both shoulders. I have had mine since the seventies and over the years I have had physio and many steroid injections. They have locked countless times and nights have been horrendous. I have also had them manipulated under general anesthetic. Mine was caused by nursing.

Venus Calling
25-07-08, 22:32
That's a long time to have that kind of pain. My doctor just says there is nothing she can do for me and that's it. All she offers is pain killers - her answer for everything. I don't think that masking problems is the way forward so I don't take anything most of the time unless I can't stand the pain when it's really bad. I do have quite a high pain threshold luckily so manage to cope pretty well most of the time but this 'crazy' feeling from these PA's I have trouble with - I am determined it's mind over matter though!

Trixie
26-07-08, 07:33
That's a long time to have that kind of pain. My doctor just says there is nothing she can do for me and that's it. All she offers is pain killers - her answer for everything. I don't think that masking problems is the way forward so I don't take anything most of the time unless I can't stand the pain when it's really bad. I do have quite a high pain threshold luckily so manage to cope pretty well most of the time but this 'crazy' feeling from these PA's I have trouble with - I am determined it's mind over matter though!

Even the surgeon was shocked when he asked me how long I had suffered from it. I explained that I had been having physio and steroid injections (in the front of the shoulder) for years but it was decided that I needed to see the surgeon.:shrug:

Venus Calling
26-07-08, 11:17
I lost my faith in the medical profession years ago from nursing my mum and things that happened with my dad - no wonder I'm a nervous wreck now!