PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety when taking blood pressure

Janvi
25-07-08, 13:54
Hi

Is there anyone who suffers from high anxiety when the dr takes your blood pressure. I want to have a baby but im afraid

janeybaby25
25-07-08, 15:02
Hi Janvi, I don't personally get high blood pressure but I hear its common when someone is taking it, it's just cos you are scared. why don't you try talking to your dr about what you are scared about, about having a baby & try & work through it. I am sure you will come out of the other side more happier & positive & more confident about becoming a parent.

good luck. xxx

diane07
25-07-08, 17:11
janvi,

yes i have high blood pressure every time the dr takes it, its my anxiety that does it, in fact me and my doc laugh because when she tries to take it again it goes even higher, she knows i have anx, and i only get it because she is taking my blood pressure, however the surgery bought a bp machine, which is in the waiting room, so what i do is take my own blood pressure while i'm waiting and hand the slip of paper to her, its the only way i get a normal reading.

Tom_M
25-07-08, 17:24
I have a Braun wrist type machine. You just strap it onto your wrist, bring your wrist up so it's level with your heart, and that's it. If you fear the pressure build up in the cuff you can always cancel it until you feel comfortable using it.

Tom

mandie
25-07-08, 20:06
Hi

I always suffer from high blood pressure when dr takes it. He only has to say to me im gonna take your bp and i can feel myself getting anxious.

I have been testing it at home for past 2 weeks and its normal at home

love mandie x

jewels26
25-07-08, 20:13
hi all

what you are all describing has a name. whitecoat syndrome. just a thought

julie

kahi35
25-07-08, 20:14
Hi Me too I get worked up at the Dr office they call it the white coat syndrome. Anyway I hate I try to calm myself down before I take it but it doesn't work. Even when I'm at work my bp is high cause this is where I find I have higher anxiety and dizziness. Do you experience the dizziness?

nomorepanic
25-07-08, 21:06
Mine is always high at the docs and I am on medication for it as well.

They gave me a 24-hour blood pressure test and it was fine.

They know I suffer white coat syndrome

MyNameIsntRich
04-08-08, 04:10
I suffer from the same thing, at this point i have to point out taht i have anziety and that when my bp is taken its usually high. I have even used my parents home bpm and its high from time to time when taking it due to the anxiety it causes.

Alisonj
04-08-08, 05:15
It is defintely very common. My BP is my biggest worry as I had severe high BP after all three of my babies. I was on four meds three months ago but I am now three months med free. I bought myself a home monitor which I dont really recommend as it is easy to become obsessed with.
Maybe just ask your doc for the 24 hour monitor and then you can see what it is like over a period of time away from your doctor.