PDA

View Full Version : PAM

kate1
27-07-08, 16:20
Somebody on here said they call the problem "PAM", now I have a kitchen table, I have now decided to allocate a seat to PAM, and if I am going out, I am leaving PAM at home, where she needs to be, visually in my mind she is sitting on the naughty step, shes not allowed to come out with me. I know it sounds odd, whatever nick name you have for the problem, Bert, anything, allocate somewhere in your house where you want to leave the nickname for the problem, your staying at home today, I am going out. I know this sounds like a very odd post, Im going to try it. Its probably been covered on here before. But its true I think, if you give things a nickname, you can leave it at home rather than take it with you.

Tom_M
27-07-08, 16:43
It will definitely work if you manage to fool your subconscious into believing it.

Tom

Venus Calling
27-07-08, 16:53
I wish that would work for me! Unfortunately I am too aware it is 'me' that is causing this whole problem and I can't blame it on anyone real or imaginary. I have to work on the basis that I don't let anyone tell me what I can do or not do and there is no way I am going to let myself tell me I can't do something either! Now that sounds odd! We all have to find ways that work for us no matter how strange or peculiar it might sound to someone else. I want to get better and the only thing stopping me from what I have learned so far is - ME.

purplehaze
27-07-08, 18:07
Hi Katie 1

I think that is a positive idea and as the problem is within our own minds to a certain extent it can be helpful to departmentalize that area that brings on our fears.

Take care

kev x

milly jones
28-07-08, 16:29
thanks for ur tip

will try it

milly xx

Captain America
28-07-08, 17:31
my therapist had me do this, but she told me it's best to bring him with rather than leave him at home, since anxiety is not evil but more like a toddler who needs to learn that he can't always have what he wants. it's worked for me for some things pretty well, but not as well on others. it works for going out and doing stuff, but not when the only action required is to do nothing (like now waiting for a dr appt to come while i'm freaking out about another health issue that is probably in my head)...

maybe i'll try sending him to the 'time out' step.

kate1
28-07-08, 18:06
For me, I think its a way to sort of rationalise things. Because we all know its the brain taking over, which is a very powerful tool. But its convincing oneself that is the hardest thing. Your battling with your own brain. I spoke to a friend recently who suffered, I said how did you get over it, she said, its taken too much time up already, and I can be arsed with it anymore, so when it comes along she tells it basically " I am not interested, piss off"