PDA

View Full Version : panic attack without physical symptoms?

trampslikeus
27-07-08, 18:40
i know that pa's can occur differently for everyone but has anyone experienced the mental feelings of a pa without the physical?
i've been suffering with pa's with all the regular symptoms for almost a year and a half now but this morning i woke up feeling intensely convinced i was about to die, even to the point of writing a letter to my family, without any of the usual physical things i feel.
it's really creeped me out, because even though i now feel spaced and depersonalized as i usually do after a pa i'm not used to having no physical effects which has only heightened my anxiety because i know how to deal with a regular pa, i can stop them, but without the physical effects i don't know how to deal.
take care everyone
x

Venus Calling
27-07-08, 20:35
I've woken up on occasions like this, last night being the most recent. I was aware I was having an attack in my sleep last night and I can remember trying to fight it off even though I was really tired and didn't actually wake up. I woke up feeling odd with the feeling of dread which made it worse - the feeling lasted longer than I would have liked but by keeping busy, playing music, chatting on the phone etc I got through it and have been ok for the rest of the day. The minute I feel spaced out or feel the symptoms that spark my attacks I get busy - it does help. You have to believe what you tell yourself to fight it off.

Gryphoenix
29-07-08, 04:34
Yep, I've gotten those weird DOOM feelings too. I was actually so scared that if I felt this way--bad stuff would happen. Like if I got that feeling in the morning, something bad would happen eventually at night. Isn't it the weirdest thing? I'm curious as to the chemicals and brain processes that cause this, and what stimulates them to do this without actual danger triggering it.

But of course nothing bad did happen--and they're just feelings. Nothing more. If I get them now (they've become quite rare now though) I just ignore them as best I can. Distraction works nicely. Except if you watch an exciting movie you might identify with the main characters in peril a little too much, so maybe try a comedy, lol. :D

Alisonj
29-07-08, 05:45
I had that doom feeling earlier. It was nothing more than a doom feeling. I told my husband about it and tried to explain it to her but he didnt really understand. Distraction is defintely the key!

kimmy
29-07-08, 20:49
I was wondering are you on meds for panics etc, i tend to have the anxious/panic thoughts but rarely the symptoms anymore, i think this is because i take the tablets

Tom_M
29-07-08, 21:20
Hi trampslikeus

Possibly you could of had a dream involving panic, but because your body mostly suppresses the physical side of things while asleep, you woke up just remembering the emotional part?

Tom

nomorepanic
29-07-08, 21:36
They sound like anxiety attacks rather than panic attacks to me and I still get them - that constant state of anxiety but no real symptoms

debera
30-07-08, 01:24
yes i get this gloom and doom feeling that something is going to happen. it happens usually when i wake up in the mornings. i think nicola is right they sound like anxiety attacks to me too.
debera:hugs:

O_O
26-10-17, 22:30
This is interesting. I'm so bothered by whatever my mental condition is because I have NO physical symptoms. Just constant dread, to varying degrees. Sometimes it becomes so intense that I think oh my god I really am going to die soon aren't I. Other times, I can convince myself that maybe, just maybe, it's in my head. But no physical symptoms whatsoever. Seems so unusual.

I know this is an old thread. Anyone else have anxiety without physical symptoms?