PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks every night

eightseven
28-07-08, 05:24
hello everyone, im 20 years old and i have been having panic attacks for the past 3 years. ive been to the doctors too many times to count and they have found nothing wrong with anything. they started out not too bad i would just have one every once in a while, but now i have them every night, i mainly have them because i feel like im gonna die from a heart problem all the time. i cant live my life how i want to and it is getting extremely annoying and i need to do something about it. i have chest pains all the time and there is something inside my chest that feels like a muscle spasm right near my heart or a part of my heart and i freak out everyday about it when it happens. when i start to panic i only breath out of my nose and hyperventilate really bad then thats when that spasm chest starts. i get shakey and weak and dizzy and confused and everyday i wake up and dread night time. the only time i feel fine is when im drink with my friends and its starting to happen when i drink too. if i could have anything in the world it would be a normal anxiety/panic free life : / any ideas would be greatly appreciated..thanks

mothermac
28-07-08, 08:46
I can relate to you and what you are experiencing. My father died from a heart attack when I was 11 yrs of age(I'm 41 now) in his sleep whilst working abroad and my anxiety stems from that.
I have always been quite nervy even as a child and having my daughter 5 yrs ago has brought on more panic and it's associated symptoms.
I also worry about my heart constantly and this drives my husband mad. I have had various tests like echocardiograms,bloods,E.C.G,s etc and they came back ok.I do take beta blockers mainly for my racing heart episodes and I feel comforted knowing they are there. I do sympathise with you as I know this type of worry is troublesome and tends to take over your life. My panic attacks and feelings of doom mainly come in the middle of the night and I have sought help recently as I do not sleep much and have been prescribed sleeping tablets.I haven't taken any yet as I am due some counselling soon so I will see what she says about them then.
I also dread night time too but I know there is no real threat it's just my own thoughts playing tricks on me and that is what our thoughts do to us.When it's quiet and everyone else is asleep problems seem much more intense and we tend to think more. I would probably pop along to your docs and have a chat about what you are experiencing and I'm sure he or she can help you. I don't think what you are experiencing is serious but if you feel as though you are hyperventilating then you need something to ease the symptoms.
Hope you feel better soon.

andrewc
28-07-08, 09:55
I can relate to both your problems here. It seems to me that your panic attacks are brought on by anxiety. I know its hard to accept but there is nothing wrong with you physically. You are not sick. Trouble is that GP's are not really knowledgable enough to treat anxiety and panic so they fop you off with sleeping tablets or something.
You must go back to GP and say you cannot stand these symptoms anymore so they can refer you to see a psychiatrist who will then prescribe medication to aleviate the symptoms and arrange for you to have therapy.

Best regards

Andy

laila
28-07-08, 11:40
well i've been suferin from really bad panic attacks caused by anxiety....went to me doc and he put me on beta blockers load of c*** they was,as they made me feel and be sick,so stoped takin them. Went to whs to look at books on panic attacks, bought one called no more panic.....and i tell you what it has helped me sooooooo much. The book explains all the questions in your head and ones you did'nt.....! so since reading the book i'm gaining more better knowledge on how to control them,ride through them the bad thoughts that race through your head when havin one......Tablets for me would now be such a last option as i think they do you no good....but other ppl beg to differ.So buy this book and sit and have a good read let it sink in and take note of every word you read......IT WILL HELP!!

milly jones
28-07-08, 15:44
i had night time pas

i take citalopram, alongside intensive therapy to address my anxiety issues

i sleep normally now, except for slight blips if i have something exceptionally anxious during the day.

milly xxx

Gryphoenix
29-07-08, 04:30
I'm 22 and I get the heart fear thing too. My dad had heart problems and then I started having ectopics and I figured that I was gonna keel over any second. I've felt that spasm-thing too in my chest when I get shocked or scared. It feels sometimes more like a surge of adrenaline and it doesn't only happen in my chest, sometimes in my stomach or like above my chest.

Well I've had it for years and I'm still here, and I've had ectopics for ages and I'm still here, so maybe our hearts are a lot stronger than we originally thought!

Anyway if you were going to have a heart attack you would know it. The pain wouldn't be something you'd be able to ignore. And anyway if you did have a heart problem with all the panics you've been through something would have showed up already, right?

So think back on all the times you thought 'this was it' and it wasn't, on all the stuff you've been through with your heart and you're STILL HERE. You'll be fine. :D