PDA

View Full Version : Lump in throat and feeling sick at the thought of food

Lisa D
28-07-08, 11:47
Hi guys, wondered if anyone can help? I'm new to the forum and its helping to know other people have the same things as me. I'm 20 and have suffered with health anxiety since I was 7.
Has anyone ever suffered from the prologed feeling of a lump in the throat? I've had it for almost two days and it makes me feel like I can't eat. I've had a really bad few days health-anxiey wise, had my wisdom tooth out last week and have had a tinglign face since- of course I googled it and found mini-strokes. It was then that the lump developed which I then tried to link in to the tingling. I can swallow, but it feels like there's a lump there when I do. Almost like the sensation your throat is closing up when it really isn't. I've read up about it on here and know that it could just be the body producing excess phlegm to cope with the muscle tightening- but I feel really odd- and I need to eat obviously :blush:
The thought of meals almost makes me gag :scared15: I have been dreading mealtimes so when food is put down in front of me, I just can't eat it. I even vomited a bit yesterday when trying to eat dinner. Its so weird! Has anyone else ever had this weird food phobia? I always get some kind of appetite loss when it comes to having bad periods with my anxiety, but this eating problem is turning into some kind of disorder or something? I hope it ends :unsure:
Can anyone relate to this?
Thanks
xxx

precious78
28-07-08, 12:08
I think it is just anxiety Lisa. The lump is most certainly globus hystericus (sp) which will go when you forget about it. And at the moment I have no appetite either which makes our anxiety worse as our blood sugar drops. I am having to force myself to eat at the moment but the combination of this and the heat isn't helping matters and making me worse.

precious78
28-07-08, 12:10
And I forgot to say the more you worry about not eating the more you won't want to eat. I had this a while back and I lost some weight which made me anxious as well.

I am feeling nausious at the moment and any thought of food or just looking at it makes me feel sick but I know I need to eat it.

gtrgrl3369
28-07-08, 14:14
This is a trap you dont want to fall into with food. I started with anxiexty and panic and fell into a deep depression over some stuff that happened last year and didnt deal with it very well. I am getting control over the anxiety and the depression is gone but within this time, I grew a fear of food. In 4 months time I lost 67 pounds and am struggling everyday to eat something. I am now down to about 5 foods that I will eat. I used to eat everything but fish. Not anymore, I let my fear get way out of control. I am now having to weigh myself everyday for my doctor. It also does not help with anxiety when your blood sugar is low. Please eat. I dont wish this on anyone. Take care and eat healthy...:blush:

valley
28-07-08, 16:15
Hi Lisa,

THe symptoms you describe are no doubt related to anxiety. I have experienced the exact same thing - was my first anxiety symptom actually. I also dreaded the thought of meals and was convinced I wouldnt get food down. The thing is, worrying about it makes it much worse. I know its hard to just forget about it, but try to occupy yourself with something else, and as you relax and get your mind off if it, you'll notice it will go away. Facial numbness/tingling can also be a common symptom of anxiety and can also be very common after having your wisdom teeth taken out. Have you contacted your doc/dentist? He/she probably will be able to advise regarding that.
Don't worry - this is a common symptom of anxiety and will pass in due time. In the meantime, relax and try to occupy yourself with something else. Have you read any Claire Weekes books? Highly recommended. She talks about this throat tightness symptom and how it is related to anxiety.

Lisa D
30-07-08, 15:57
Heeey thanks everyone. Was disconnected from my internet so couldn't reply sooner. The lump has gone but the food thing remains the same- the nausea etc. I guess I'm going to keeep forcing myself and trying to relax. You're right though its horrible, it makes you feel dizzy and weird! xxx