PDA

View Full Version : Need help and advice please

PixieL
29-07-08, 15:26
Dose anyone else suffer more with panic attacks and other things when its hot outside? I seem to be alot worse when its even just a little bit sunny, i really cant stand any heat at all. I feel like i cant breath and very dizzy and faint and like im going to pass out or worse. Its just really getting me down and i wondered if others were in the same boat as me and if anyone had any tips on how to cope when its summer and hot.
Also i have real trouble going in cars now, i just have to sit in one and i feel panic attacks coming on, dose anyone else get this? Its draining the energy from me this constant battle to over come everything, i feel like its three steps forward to steps back if you know what i mean.
Please if anyone has any advice they can offer or if anyone understands how i feel and gose through the same type of things id be really greatfull for an coping tips. Thanks. xx

marie1974
29-07-08, 15:30
hello pixeL i cant help much with this but just wanted to say hello and long time no speak and i hope u are keeping well hun. hugs xxx

Wenjoy
29-07-08, 15:31
I am worse int he heat. I have panic attacks in hot places when I feel trapped like supermarkets, theatres, restaurants etc but when its hot and humid like last week - its a million times worse. I carry bottled water in my handbag at all times plus something I can fan my face with wherever I am - and I ignore the funny looks people give me!!! Wenjoy x

PixieL
29-07-08, 15:54
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. yeah long time no talk donna we must catch up :). thanks wenjoy, i do take bottles of water and a hand held fan out with me, also a paper bag but they dont help if theres alot of people around, i just find i work myself up and i do feel so silly for it, like im letting everyone down. My doctors and social worker have got me on so man tablets and keep changing them and it gets so confusing to keep up, also they keep sending me to see diff people all the time and noone seems to know what to do with me. sorry for the moan i just needed to get this stuff off my chest.

helenclaire
29-07-08, 15:59
The heat definately makes me feel worse,
I try to avoid situations where i know it will be hot as it makes me feel really claustrophobic.
I get the horrible faint feelings lots anyway, but in the heat it is awful.
Sorry i cannot be of any help, but you are certainly not on your own with this, the last few days have been so bad, i do not know how anyone can sit in the sun for hours, i feel like i have heat stroke after 10 minutes.
Helen

PixieL
29-07-08, 20:40
hi helen, yeah i feel claustrophobic in the heat to, and like i cant breath like its heavy and smothering if you know what i mean. dose anyone else get that? im so glad others know how it feels, its so hard to get people to understand normally. i to have no idea how anyone can sit in the sun all day, it makes me shudder to think of it. xx

Wenjoy
30-07-08, 15:57
Yep - well as said earlier on this thread - I hate the heat. went to my chemist today to get my asthma prescription and they asked me to fill in a quiestionaire about the pharmacy and my thoughts - I wrote on it - "staff very helpful but hate this pharmacy int he afternoons as its in direct sun and its so stuffy in here lots of people have said it makes them feeel faint - can they suggest air con>??!" the ladies in the chemist said they feel ill in the heat of the shop too - so its not only us anxiety people who suffer - millions of others do to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wenjoy x

PixieL
30-07-08, 19:38
Oh yeah its bad for everyone when its to hot. even before i got ill i once fainted in a hospital when i was 14 as it was boiling hot, and so did three other people. i was just wondering about it because i get really bad panic attacks in the heat and feel really bad, and wanted to know i wasnt alone and others understood. it can be hard for some people to understand. xxx

Mich81
31-07-08, 15:17
Hi I can completly understand where you are coming from, my panic attacks started when I fainted in extreme heat so know how hard it can be. I always carry water and try control my breathing as I can get very flustered in the heat. Sorry I couldn;t be any more help but sometimes it is reassuring to know you are not alone x

jennielouise
31-07-08, 18:00
i find it really difficult in cars too. i think anywhere you feel closed in the anxiety gets worse. i am just starting with medication after trying to battle the anxiety for nearly a year. tried everything else, but nothing has really stopped it for me to get control again. i am hoping medication for 6 months will give me the strenght to over come the psychological part and break the anxiety cycle. i hope you find something that works for you...

jennie x

PixieL
31-07-08, 18:04
Hi guys, thanks for the replys. im glad to have any advice :) thank you. yes heat in cars i find bothers me alot to. you know when its a hot day and the car is stuffy. i hope the medication helps jennie btw, good luck :) xx

Captain America
31-07-08, 19:12
i bought this book on the advice of my therapist. one of the 'exposures' is to sit in a hot car, crank the heat and sweat. you write down what the sensation is, and how high the panic level is. you're supposed to keep doing it in stages until the sensation stays the same but the panic level drops. so the next time you feel hot, no panic!

i don't have this one, but exposure therapy has worked for my with hyperventilating myself. when i get dizzy now i don't go into panic mode right away anymore. might work for you heat sufferers...