PDA

View Full Version : Xanax causing irritability

katreneeg
29-07-08, 16:38
I just started taking Xanax for my anxiety. I took the first one last night ( 0.5mg) and felt some relief. I took one this morning before i got to work and I have found that I am extremely irritable. Being irritable is common for me, but it seems a little worse. I thought the Xanax would do the opposite for me? Any ideas?

ana
31-07-08, 17:18
Hello!
I have been taking Xanax for 3 years before I quit 2 years ago. Yes, irritability is quite normal, I used to feel it when I first started taking it. After a while I stopped experiencing side effects, though I did use to feel very tired at times. Xanax helped me a lot, I must say. It's an effective drug and I'm sure you'll benefit from it!
Hugs
Ana

mtatum4496
01-08-08, 01:10
I also am taking Xanax. Irritability is one of the side effects that may manifest for a short period when you first start taking the drug. I am not sure how long it will take for the side effect to fade out in your situation - are you taking Xanax on an "as needed" basis or did your doctor prescribe a specific amount to take daily? If a daily dosage was recommended, the irritability may fade out faster.

My prescription also calls for 0.5 mg tablets - but I find that I often manage well by cutting the tablet in half (I am not taking the extended release version) and trying 0.25 mg first. I always have the option of taking the second half later in the day if I need to. You may want to ask your doctor about this idea and if he or she is amiable, give it a shot. It may provide you with the benefits but not increase the irritability you feel at work.