PDA

View Full Version : Wiping the Memory

Bill
30-07-08, 03:07
Picture walking towards a door. When you reach the door you take hold of the handle and slowly turn it. As the door opens, you observe a table standing in the middle of a room which is totally covered with beautiful scented flowers.

After standing a while to admire them, you leave, closing the door behind you.

However, you can't stop the memory of them so the next day you can't resist going back to view them once more. Still this isn't enough and every day thereafter you feel drawn to this room to see them again and again.

One day though, you walk up to the door just as you have countless time before but when you open the door, instead of seeing the flowers, you are suddenly confronted by a swarm of bees that begin to attack you.

You run as fast you can to escape them because you feel so terrified of them.

This experience though has had such a frightening effect, that every time you even just think about going back to see the flowers, you start feeling panicky because all you can now think of are the swarm of bees and the fear you felt rather than the beautiful scented flowers you once couldn't resist seeing.

However, you now also begin to worry about the anxious symptoms you experienced. You begin to convince yourself that these feelings aren't just because of fear but that there must be something seriously wrong with you. You now feel incapable of even attempting to get out of the house.

One day though, you pluck up the courage to go back to this room but you still feel very fearful that the bees might still be there waiting for you but you also now fear experiencing the fear and the symptoms the fear produced . However, upon opening the door, the flowers are once more there to be admired but instead of being able to enjoy them, you suddenly begin to feel panicky and have to run out again even though there are no bees to be seen.

Every time thereafter you attempt to see these flowers, you still feel forced to run because of the panicky feelings you still feel.

Only after a long period of time once you've convinced yourself that the bees really aren't coming back, are you then able to enter this room as before to admire the flowers without feeling fear of the bees or the fearful symptoms they produced and therefore without the need of having to escape.

Now picture the room of flowers as life before anxiety.
The bees as too much stress.
The fear that creates the symptoms that too much stress produce.
The health fears that the symptoms produce.
The memory of feeling fear that now creates worry.
The worry that now creates memories which induces the same panicky symptoms.
How wiping the memory can help get us back to where we were before our first panic attack.:hugs:

Bear in mind though that you cannot expect to extinguish a frying pan fire unless you turn the gas off first! Where there is too much stress, panics will still exist so only by finding ways to reduce stress can we effectively begin to overcome panics.:hugs:

mothermac
30-07-08, 11:30
What a brilliant post Bill,I have never read something as so true as this,or put it into this type of context.We all let fear feed fear(or at least I do)and this is a unique way of getting us to realise that this is what is happening most of the time. You always hit the nail on the head and I enjoy reading your posts.
I hope you can apply this thought to your own worries and concerns sometimes and become a calmer person because of it.

dawny
30-07-08, 11:38
bill,

where would we be without your wise words, all i can say is....wow....

you have described panic so accurately.....again im going to print your words (thats if you dont mind)

love and cuddles dawny xxxxx

pooh
30-07-08, 11:51
Bill ....... as always...... beautifully expressive and i love the analogy.

Pooh x

lorac
30-07-08, 12:32
Bill

You are so clever and know exactly how to put things accross to make us understand things better.

Thanks Bill for some more of your great words of wisdom.

Love

Carol
xxx

milly jones
30-07-08, 15:52
bill what a well loved and respected member of nmp u are

i wish u realised how we cherish ur posts and words of wisdom

thank you for understanding

milly xxxx

Bill
31-07-08, 04:38
Dawny, of course you're welcome to print it but remember they are only my personal thoughts on panic.:hugs:

I think often we focus on symptoms without seeing the causes. What I've tried to illustrate is when pressures in our lives build up to a point where panics suddenly start to occur and how once a panic occurs, we then become afraid of it re-occuring and our fear then re-creates them.

I feel it's almost like a computer being fed an incorrect program and it has to be re-booted into calculating as it was before.

There are 2 issues. Firstly to find ways to reduce the stresses that have caused the panics and secondly to learn to realise that the stress then no longer exists so there then isn't any reason to fear the panics re-occuring. It's just become our fear of them that re-creates them.

Emotional stress I feel though works in a different way because it's not present stresses that are causing the panics but instead events in our past that have been left untreated because they frightened us so much at the time.

For instance, if we were constantly left on our own, it could create a fear of abandonment so that as we grow older that fear stays with us because we've never learnt how to deal with it. You can't then reduce the stresses because the causes were years ago so it takes a different way of working with them. That's where counselling come in to help us come to terms with events long since past so that they stop creating anxieties in the present. Another story to tell perhaps!

Anyway, as long as something I type helps somebody somewhere to understand what "could" be happening to them then it's worth posting.:hugs:

chellebelle
31-07-08, 05:34
All I can say is "WOW"! I'm gonna have to check out your other posts. That is just incredible.