PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations? Reassurance needed and some answers!

Craig
03-05-05, 10:09
Hi everyone.

I've read lots of posts on palipitations, etc. but as with most things I think I need some reassurance and some answers that I couldn't find on the forum.

I've been doing well recently :D But yesterday especially I kept getting a feeling on/off in my chest. It felt like a few strong heartbeats accompanied by a shot of adrenaline/nervousness and then went back to normal. Is it possible to have palipitations for only a few beats? Or does this sound like an ectopic beat? Or perhaps it's just my mind wandering an noticing it?

Anyway I'd get 3 or 4 of these feelings in the space of say 1/2 hour, and this occured in 4 or 5 blocks yesterday. I did a medium-intensity session in the gym later and felt a bit better for exercising, but last night about 10pm the palpitations started. It was normal pace and seemed regular but very strong. This continued for most of the night, although I did get about 2 hrs sleep after 3am (sleepnessess was also contributed to by my partner who was awake and nervous for other reasons) I'm sat at my desk now and feel ok -- but does anyone have any hints on getting rid of palipitations? I couldn't find a comfy position anywhere were I couldn't hear my heart.... Also does anyone else get this after exercise? Or is it likely that the two aren't that connected? (I don't want to start being put off exercise, I need to get fitter - but I don't want sleepness nights either...)

Sorry for all the questions in there! :)

Craig

Craig
03-05-05, 10:16
Oh - one more addition. The doc prescribed me a low does of beta-blockers (propah... errr, you know the one) - 10mg; to be taken as and when just in case my heart rate kept on going high. It hasn't done this for a while, so I haven't taken any. I've seen posts that suggest they help palpitations. Does anyone else take one when palpiations occur (rather than take them regularly). I wasn't sure if this was a good idea -- as my heart rate is ok and I didn't want to slow it down too much....

seh1980
03-05-05, 11:06
hi Craig,

I have had palpitations that have only lasted a couple of seconds. I have never been on beta-blockers myself but my bfriend was on them for a while. He only took them when he felt that he needed them and they helped him with the palpitations as well. Hope this helps somewhat..

Sarah :D

Emmie
03-05-05, 11:24
Hi Craig,
I dont know if this will be of much help to you-as i cant say whether it is connected to exercise- but i just thought id let you know that whenever i get palpitations they are exactly as you explained- just 2 or 3 really fast beats and then a kind of shot of adrenaline and they seem to come from nowhere and at no particular time. Just to let you know that you're not alone

Em x

Meg
03-05-05, 14:34
**Is it possible to have palipitations for only a few beats? Or does this sound like an ectopic beat? Or perhaps it's just my mind wandering an noticing it?**

Yes it is possible to have palpitations/ ectopics for a few beats only and this is very common. Often felt in the throat too.

You nighttime stint seems to be more a pounding heart than palpitations - which generally feel irregular.

Doing some active relaxation eg CD can help calm your heart rate down

Magnesium and calcium supplements together are reputed to help but I've not got personal experience of this.

Getting used to it not being dangerous helps in itself as you stop producing fear chemicals which perpetuate the palpitations.

Propanolol is meant to be taken regularly but many many anxious people take them as needed and it works well- just be aware you may get a bit wobbly initially.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Craig
03-05-05, 15:27
Thanks for the replies

So is the advice for heart pounding the same as for other symptoms. I.e. it won't harm you, ignore it and it'll go away?

Also is there any likely triggers for this? (or an easy way to stop it?) . Would the propanolol help a pounding heart at all?

seh1980
03-05-05, 16:37
Craig,

The heart pounding will not hurt you and the less worried you are about it, the less it will happen. The propanolol will help you with the palpitations.

Sarah :D

Meg
03-05-05, 16:57
Craig,

Yes, thats pretty much the way forward.

Palpitations: palpatations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2284)
Missed heartbeats! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3186)
sorry for being silly....but.... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3320)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Craig
03-05-05, 21:08
Thanks again for the replies!

I'll bear with it for now -- palps are not too bad, but if they get worse I'll use the meds.

Once again, having reassurance that others have 2-3 beat palps and that heart pounding is nothing to worry about is a massive help! :D

ally
10-09-08, 12:00
hi craig calm down u will b ok iget those horrible palpys to stress youre diet and anxiety can make them worse when u get them try to focus on something else go and to something just dont think of them it makes them worse try an chill we r all here 4 u ok xxxx

Neilr1978
11-09-08, 20:59
hi craig im on propranonol im on 80 mgs a day and i find its helping me at that dose i started on 40 mgs a day my doc said it was a small dose for my size and now im quite happy on 80 mgs,i still get ectopics but not as many as i did when i was not on meds.
My doc says mine are down to stress pure and simple and for 2 and a half long years i thought they were wrong and i was right, i thought all kinds of stuff heart defects,heart attacks,dying in my sleep the lot .The point that changed that way of thinking was if i was busy MOST of the time i was fine,yes now and agian i got one but everyone gets them even superfit ppl its just we get so in tune with the palps and ectopics we feel every one when most ppl dont even feel it,and then theirs the other side of the coin when im stressed i can have them all day and night.I started thinking about when i got most of them and when i got very little and the PATTERN was stress.If i really did have a heart problem it would get worse overtime not get better then worse then better and so on.If you have not already though pop down to your g.p and you will have a painless E.C.G that will take a tracing of your heart just for your own peace of mind.I have found for me diet can play a big factor in palps and ectopics if you have coffe go for decaff,cut back on the booze,also knoch the energy drinks on the head if your drinking them,basically things with stimulants in are not good for ectopics and palps,try it and see if it helps.But by far an away the biggest thing to do is relax.im currently getting cbt therapy to try and understand my ectopics and my therapist says people have different physical responses to stress.some have the shakes,sweating,headaches,pins and needles and others can have palpatations and/or ectopics.Its just a physical response to getting stressed.God i know it can scare the wits out of you when it first happens to you but after 2 and a half years of them im still here and there are people around this site that have had them for 20 years plus.try to relax a bit mate.hope this helps if you need anything else you can pm me cos i know how bad these damn things can make you feel

Rachey poos
11-09-08, 23:56
i get those quick beats...are these the ones that just come out the blue and your heart goes..... (normal)bum ....bum.....bum...bumbumbumbumbum....cough splutter thump the chest then bum...bum...bummm (normal!!!!!!!!! ) did you like that LOL!!!! well I have found I really get these when I have had too much stimulants especially chocolate!!!!! I have spoken to sooooo many people who have these!! EEven folks who dont suffer with palps as a rule have these weird beats! I think it is a common adjustment to a over stimulated heart x