PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks, periods and PMT

Cherry Milkshake
30-07-08, 16:33
One for the ladies here I think, although guys if you have any knowledge please do share by all means.

I started having panic attacks around six weeks ago and since then I've not had a period. I'm usually pretty regular and have a copper coil fitted. I've done three pregnancy tests all of which have been negative. Does anyone know if anxiety/panic can affect the mentsrual cycle?

Also, I've often felt teary the last week but it seems to be more of a very low mood swing than general depression (although I do feel more down on a daily basis since I started getting the attaks), but I seem to be finding that a panic attack often ensues following one of these episodes. Does PMT exacerbate panic?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Hannah x

chellebelle
31-07-08, 05:45
Hi Hanna,

There are lots of posts on here titled - for the ladies or variations on that. Do a bit of a search and you'll find most of the females on here experience increased anxiety around that time of the month. I am forever making a panicked call to my dad only to have him ask if it's "around that time" - and it nearly always is!

Recently I found something called Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I think there is a previous posting about this, but I cut and pasted some info about it below. The site from which I got it has an online test to see if it's possible you have it - the link is

http://pmdd.factsforhealth.org/what/

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD is a condition associated with severe emotional and physical problems that are linked closely to the menstrual cycle. Symptoms occur regularly in the second half of the cycle and end when menstruation begins or shortly thereafter. PMDD is not just a new name for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a condition that affects as many as 75% of menstruating women. It is, however, considered to be a very severe form of PMS that affects about 5% of menstruating women. Both PMDD and PMS share symptoms in common that include depression, anxiety, tension, irritability and moodiness. What sets PMDD apart is its severity. Women with PMDD find that it has a very disruptive effect on their lives.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)

Cherry Milkshake
31-07-08, 11:04
Thanks for the reply and info :) I don't know as that would explain the fact I'm so late with my period which is unusual, but I will certainly take your advice and have a look through - perhaps it is, and it would certainly explain the severe mood swings. Thanks again.
H x