PDA

View Full Version : Venlothaxine?

Rory
03-05-05, 12:04
Hi Folks,

After being on citalopram for over a year, and not really making any progress just now with the whole anxiety / agoraphobia thing, a hospital consultant prescribed Venlothaxine for me.

Has anybody had any experienced with this med? I dont know anything about it. Although I am nervous about starting a new med with possible side effects, I really hope it might help me.

Rory.

Rory
03-05-05, 12:09
Oops I mean Venlathaxine , I cant spell.

Rory
03-05-05, 12:14
OMG Im really not doing too well

VENLAFAXINE !

Couldnt find any controls to edit my first post !

Meg
03-05-05, 14:43
Rory , You just click on the page with a pencil on it to edit -above the post.

Venlaflaxine / Efexor.

If you drop down and go through a few pages on the medication pages you wil find lots of posts about it .

The main change is that it is a Seratonin and Noradrenalin Reuptake Inhibitor - so an SSRI with an extra bit.

Not for known cardiac patients.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

LisaS
03-05-05, 17:14
hi Rory,

I have been taking efexor modified release/venlafaxine for almost 4 weeks. I didn't experience any side effects which may be as i had taken prozac for 6 weeks before that, so maybe all my side effects came out then!? anyway.. efexor has so far really really made a difference and calmed me down so i can continue doing things again without the fear that plagued me before. I am on 75mg, what about you? I hope it helps you too!!

Love lisa
xxx

Rory
03-05-05, 21:55
Meg - thanks for that , I couldnt see the edit icon anywhere ! lol I'll know next time.

Lisa - Thanks for your reply, good to hear you have had no problems with it. I am picking up the prescription some time in the next couple of days so I dont know what I will be on , Im just coming off citalopram which I think my body got too used to after over a year.

Im really hoping the venlafaxine will calm me down like it has for you.

Were you agoraphobic if you dont mind me asking? what things has it helped you to do again?

Thanks
Rory.

florence
03-05-05, 22:17
Hi Rory

Hope your new medication will help you. :)
all the best

Florence.

**To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.**

Rory
03-05-05, 22:18
Thanks flo :) me too

florence
03-05-05, 22:22
You're welcome :)

Let us know how it goes.

Flo.x

**To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.**

LisaS
04-05-05, 10:10
hi Rory,

before I was just scared of everything, going to the shops, meeting up with friends, answering the phone.. now i can go out and pretty much know it wont bother me. I can only describe it as feeling calm. I'm also sleeping better, I literally just pass out at about 10.30 and thats it til morning..! its just taken away that feeling of constant anxiety and anticipatory panic feeling.. which is what they are meant for. So now I can concentrate on my counselling and figuring how to deal with it in the future and find out why it happened in the first place (stress piling up until moving house pushed me over the limit!)..
do you do any talking therapy? i highly recommend it.. and this site to for making you feel you are not alone..

hope it goes well for you. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any q's about it and i'll try and help. Oh it also kicked in pretty quickly for me, after about 2 weeks.. I've almost been on them a month so i still have a way to go but i'm on my way and that is the main thing!

good luck
Lisa
xxx

Rory
04-05-05, 22:39
I really hope they have that effect on me Lisa, that sounds excellent. Thats really my problem that anticipatory anxiety/panic which I cant seem to break thru to get any further...

Picked up meds today so will be coming off citalopram in next few days and starting on these.

Thanks for your reply and Im glad to hear you are doing a lot better.

Rory.

LisaS
05-05-05, 11:54
hi Rory,

good luck coming off the citalopram.. do it slow with your docs advice..
did the citalopram not do it for you?

good luck,
lisa
xx

Rory
06-05-05, 19:33
Hi Lisa,

The citalopram seemed to make a good difference at first but after over a year of it I think my body has just got used to it.

Ive come off it pretty slowly and today is the first day I havent had any. I feel pretty lightheaded actually and like its quite difficult to keep my eyes focused... wondering if thats due to the withdrawal.

Probably will start the venlafaxine tomorrow.

LisaS
06-05-05, 19:43
hi rory,

sounds quite likely to be the withdrawal, but it shouldn't last!
good luck with the efexor! what dose are you on? Let me know how it goes with you!! we should update each other! I'm on one month of it today! and i'm back at work and even contemplating watching a band in a pub tonight! yay! (might not though!)

take care,
Lisa
xxx

Rory
15-05-05, 19:52
Well heres an update after a week of Effexor.

I have been able to get out and do some things which I was too anxious to do beforehand. I have driven further afield in the last couple of days than I have for a long while, and I felt really pretty good while doing it. Its definately had a positive effect.

The only worry I have is yesterday and today Ive had some palpititations, the sort where your heart sort of flutters for a second... dont feel very nice and are a bit scary. I know this is a possible side effect but I dont know if its just me because I used to very occasionally get this anyway.

Really hope its just my body getting used to the med and it will go away , as this is the first thing thats really helped me.

Rory.

seh1980
15-05-05, 20:31
hi Rory,

So glad that the meds seem to be helping!! I'm sure that the palpitations will go away eventually once your body gets used to the meds. I hope they really help you hun..

Sarah :D

nutter
21-05-05, 13:02
Hi Rory,

I have been on Venlafaxine for a little over a year. It is affective and fortunately I did not suffer any side effects. I have not been taking anything for the last week and it was not until then that I realised how effective they really are.
You can still FEEL emotions but it is like a blanket has been put on them so they do not feel so raw. I can understand you being concerned but unless you try them, worrying about any side affects could make your condition worse, if you know what I mean. Hope this helps.