PDA

View Full Version : Food

Venus Calling
31-07-08, 20:47
I've noticed on the forum that quite a few people find it hard to eat suffering with anxiety. I haven't had that problem but I have found that when I do eat that burning chest sensation starts and I feel too full even if I've only had a spoonful - it's even worse if I actually eat my food and it's making me feel like I shouldn't eat even though I do get hungry. This feeling is so uncomfortable and I haven't over eaten by any stretch of the imagination but it feels as if I have.

I've been managing to keep the PA's at bay and since doing the deep breathing as often as I can remember I don't feel as bad as I have done - very tearful but that's about it.

Does anyone know what actually causes the burning sensation in the chest and is there anything that will alleviate it? It doesn't go away with heartburn remedies or painkillers.

Look forward to your thoughts... :D

thoughts and actions
31-07-08, 23:20
hi jupiter

I know exactly what u mean regarding the burning sensation.

My doc explained it to me and im going to try and explain it best as i can on here lol.

When you eat your digestive system breaks down the food etc etc- when we are anxious our body produces adrenalin- unfortunately when this happens certain parts of the body are alleviated of blood i.e. the stomach and thats why we get indigestion/ acid reflux/ nausea and bowel probs. The food does not get digested properly and each person will react differently some ppl will suffer with acid reflex otehrs will feel a burning sensation others will not feel the effects until a few hours later and have really bad indigestion.

I am now on my 3rd lot of meds from the docs for this and live on gaviscon every other night.

You also find when you are tense you cannot digest food properly- try some deep breathing excercises before you eat- eat smaller portions 5 timess a day rather than big meals

Hope this helps??

Venus Calling
01-08-08, 01:11
Thank you so much for your reply! I thought I was as cool and calm as a cucumber today with the amount of deep breathing I did today and despite only four hours sleep last night (or rather this morning) I still can't sleep tonight.

I'll try the smaller more frequent portions tomorrow and see if it helps.

milly jones
01-08-08, 12:40
i lost weight and this helped my tummy issues.

also i was told not to eat after 6 pm and only eat when i felt hungry.

i only get the feeling now if im really anx about something and baulking

for me its not about the food its the company or where im eating too.

milly xx

Venus Calling
01-08-08, 13:01
I've been trying to lose weight but without much success - I thought the one bonus of this anxiety thing would be it would just fall off!! :D I don't eat anywhere as much as I used to and spend so much time in the loo I don't understand how I don't lose weight! I woke up with the pain this morning so I took two heartburn tablets I got in Boots (like Zantac) had some cornflakes and I still have it. It's annoying more than anything else - every now and again a 'what if' thought comes into my head but I have to banish them. I don't feel anxious at the moment.

woofytalk
01-08-08, 13:03
Wow - thoughts and actions hit the nail right on the head.
Smaller portions and possibily looking into an acid refux med would be my first suggestions too.

Unfortunately, anxiety has physical side effect and indigestion is just a part of the game.

I personally used to carry around a roll of tums in my pocket fulltime.