PDA

View Full Version : Help my heads going to explode!!

heidi26
26-11-03, 23:53
Hi guys, firstly I would like to thank meg for her support over the last few months, and also anyone else who has been intouch. I started to suffer from panic in September also depression, problems going out etc. My doc put me on Citalopram, to which I had very bad side effects, I went to see him last week and he suggested I come off them so I took half on Wed and Thur and thought things would be ok, as my panic had stopped, just about!. Up until Monday I felt 90% better, but I have started to feel very strange, I was feeling very odd when taking the tablets, my head felt very odd, dizzy, confused, pressure in my head, feeling like something serious is wrong with me. At present I feel really odd my head is full of pressure, I felt sick earlier, I feel dizzy and my sight goes funny sometimes, its hard to explain, but I feel as if something is seriously wrong with me. It was all going so well, I have been going out alot, my panic attacks just about stopped, even though I get some feelings of panic I was able to change my surroundings etc in order to feel better. But this thing with my head is freaking me out, I asked the doctor how long it takes to get Citalopram out of my system and he said straight away, so it can't be that. It can get that bad that the only way to feel better is just to lie on the sofa with my duvet and watch tv, it really upsets me as I feel so scared, and feel as if I am dieing, but not like the dieing feeling when I have a panic. I need to keep motivated, which I am finding hard, but I am making myself go out and do stuff as the exercise really helps, but once in from walking, it all starts again, I think its very unlikely that there is anything wrong with my head, but its just so odd that my panic has calmed so much but I am getting such an unwell feeling. I was so please at the weekend, I though things would be getting back to normal again, and now I am so confused. I am going to make and appointment to see the doc tomorrow, but feel as if they don't understand as they haven't been that helpful, some of the doctors make me feel as if I am wasting there time, so I shall get an appoinment to see a nice one!!!!. Please if anyone has any idea why my head is feeling like this, please let me know as I am scared. Thanks best wishes Heidi

H Young

benoo5
27-11-03, 00:42
hello heide,

all anti-depresants need a slow withdrawal time,they are not to be rushed.

please tell your dr,exactly how your feeling,and dont be fobbed off,you have as much right to your doctors time,as someone recovering from a broken leg.

i really hope you sort this out...before going to the surgery,write down how your feeling,and any questions,that you want answers too,cos sometimes we clam up,once we get to see the doc,and regret not asking this or that later..best wishes..bryan.

diana
27-11-03, 03:15
Hiya Heidi,
It does sound like you are having a time right now. Like Bryan said though don`t be put off by your doc, you have rights too. So what if the doc feels you are wasting his/her time? You demand he/she take their time to help you feel better, that is what they are there for!!! I know what you mean about the docs though, mine makes me feel the same at times. She even told me that there was nothing "MEDICALLY" wrong with me, So what is she trying to say???? Hopefully you will get this all sorted soon. Take care, and do come back to let us know how you are doing.

Diana xxxxx

P.S. I understand you are having a surgery, might I ask what you are being operated on? If it`s not too personal?

sadie
27-11-03, 19:31
Hi Heidi

Try not to worry too much, which is easier said than done i know but it does only make your symptoms worse. Anyway, I too suffer from the very same feelings as you, my head feels like it will explode and I feel dizzy, sick, vague, flushing sensations in my head etc. I also suffer migraines which make things worse for me as sometimes a migraine can spark an anxiety attack as I misread the symptoms or I worry about the symptoms so much I make myself panic. In fact thats exactly what happened only yesterday but somehow I managed to calm myself down a bit. I still have a migraine/sore head which is now the 4th day and i'm trying not to worry too much so not to make it any worse.

I am also trying to reduce my dose of anti-depressants at the moment (Venlafaxine) and I think maybe that has made my symptoms a bit worse. Bryan is right, you really shouldn't stop taking your pills without reducing the dosage gradually as they can make your symptoms a lot worse until its out your system.

The best thing to do to help your sore head is to get someone to give you a nice relaxing head and neck massage. Thats what I am hoping my husband will do for me tonight!!

Take care and dont worry!

sadie

Meg
27-11-03, 20:05
Dear Heidi,

Sorry, I missed this when you posted it.

I think you're coming off your tablets too fast and are getting rebound symptoms. I do not agree that the citalopram leaves your system immediately at all- no drug does , it has quite a half life - time to excreting- and the effects last longer still.

What did the doc say ?
How are you now ?

Meg

heidi26
27-11-03, 23:17
Hi guys thanks for your replies, Meg the doctor I spoke too is my psychologist who I see on Monday evenings for group stress control meetings, he said that I should see my own doctor but that the drug leaves my system straight away and I will be fine, that’s why it has freaked me out so much to have these symptoms. My own doctor who I saw last week said to half the does for a couple of days and then stop!, so I did, I had to get off them as the side effects where very bad, worse than the panic if thats possible!!!! When I last contacted you I was feeling so much better but now it has all gone pear shaped again, it’s so hard to explain how I am feeling inside, does anyone else find this? My partner is very understanding, but sometimes I feel that he really doesn't understand what the hell is going on. We had a good chat last night and some tears, and he said that I need to get back to the doctors for some help. I really don't want to go back onto medication, as the panic has really calmed down, its just the other stuff now. If I have come off the medication too quick how long should I expect things to get back to normal? as there must be a reason for these feelings and it sounds like the medication was the problem. Look forward to hearing form you guys, thanks best wishes Heidi.

H Young

benoo5
27-11-03, 23:57
heide,

ime a paramedic,not a doctor..i left med school after 3yrs...but i do disagree with your psychologist...it can take up to eight weeks to come off meds.

when the meds are out of your system,i really do think you still need some form of help..and i agree with your partner,i think you need to talk to your doctor,and ask to be referred to a therapist.

your on the way to recovery,i just think you need to believe that! and a therapist will point you in the right direction...your lucky,your partner is understanding..give him a big hug tonite..bryan.

heidi26
28-11-03, 00:04
thanks alot Bryan

H Young

nomorepanic
28-11-03, 11:24
Heidi

I took citalopram once but only for about 3 weeks. I was prescribed it for sleep problems cos I rarely get a good night's sleep. It made me feel dreadful - the dizziness was much worse and I stopped taking it cos the side-effects were worse than the not sleeping.

I am sure that these drugs take a few weeks to leave your system completely and not just a few days.

I guess you need to see the doc again but make sure he doesn't just put you back on it if you are determined to stop taking it.

Let us know how it goes

Nicola

twister
28-11-03, 15:01
Hi

I believe that the SSRI drugs do leave your system fairly immediately which is why missed doses can make you feel rather ill.

However if you do stop them immediately there will be an sudden shift in the serotonin levels in your brain (the effect of the drug is to stop the serotonin being re-uptaken into the synapses therefore giving your brain more to play with)which gives you the horrible effects you describe whilst your brain sorts out the imbalance.

If you withdraw gradually your brain is able to adjust better.

Emily