PDA

View Full Version : Blood Test for Lymphoma

Richardmcfc
01-08-08, 20:52
Hi all,

I have had a lump in the back of my neck for around four months now and went to see the doctor who said just to monitor it, I also have one in my groin which flares up and down. It still hadnt gone and so a few days ago I went back and they did a blood test to see if everything was ok. Everything they tested for was. Now having had the blood test, I have read that in actual fact blood tests cant detect something like Lymphoma, is this accurate or not? For example would it pick up on something if worse came to worse and I had it?

Just to add to that, recently I have started feeling really tired with no energy whilst my body has been aching.

Rich

nikita
01-08-08, 21:00
just to say Rich that I got a small lump on my neck also about 8yrs ago. I totally freaked out and was convinced I had cancer. I was too afraid to go to the doctor but about 6mths later I did go. He examined me and said it was harmless especially as Id had it a few months and had no other symptoms. Id been feeling tired also and achy but suprise suprise once the doctor gave me the all clear that disappeared!!! I still have the lump. My Mum also developed quite a large one on her neck several years ago and hers is also fine. A girl in my work has got one on her arm. They seem to be quite common, but I know worrying. Good luck with the results.

mandie
02-08-08, 00:43
Hi Rich

My dad has just been diagnosed with lymphoma. It was not detected in routine blood test, u would need more complex tests to find that out.

his main symptom was night sweats. please try not to worry, im sure u will be fine

love mandie x

london
02-08-08, 03:21
Hi all,

I have had a lump in the back of my neck for around four months now and went to see the doctor who said just to monitor it, I also have one in my groin which flares up and down. It still hadnt gone and so a few days ago I went back and they did a blood test to see if everything was ok. Everything they tested for was. Now having had the blood test, I have read that in actual fact blood tests cant detect something like Lymphoma, is this accurate or not? For example would it pick up on something if worse came to worse and I had it?

Just to add to that, recently I have started feeling really tired with no energy whilst my body has been aching.

Rich

if you have lymphoma you lymp count gos up to 8 about or over and it shows in a fasting blood test

Vicki08
02-08-08, 09:06
I'm sure you are fine. If your doctor thought it might be something more like lymphoma then I'm pretty sure he would have sent you for more tests. But, it seems like your doctor is pretty happy with the lumps so I would try not to worry.
I had some blood tests done at the hospital about a year ago and the results came back normal but I was convinced that they had missed something! I saw the doctor so many times and he ended up telling me that if your body was fighting some sort of disease, something abnormal would show up on initial tests ie. your blood pressure would be high, your blood count might be low, there might be infection present in a blood test, iron levels might be low etc etc and thats when they would investigate further. He said if all initial tests come back ok then they wouldnt do any further tests as it just causes more stress to the patient.

Hope this helps!

pooh
02-08-08, 12:03
Hi rich

There is a possibility it is just a cyst or boil under the skin. They are very common. My ex hubby had a huge lump on his neck and had it removed and thats what it is, years later he developed another one. I would try not to worry the simplest explanation is usually true and with anxiety you may start looking for symptoms to relate. Stay outta google too.

Pooh x

bex1970
02-08-08, 16:24
I have recently had a full blood count and my doctor told me (because, as usual I was paranoid...) that Lymphoma WOULD be detected - as your white cells would be low... (unusually so).... But, I have to say, that if he suspected it, he would probably have run tests called Inflammatory Markers which indicate it as well... The fact that he didn't do that means that he is not concerned about it. I have lumps in my neck too - one at the side and one a bit further down - and my doctor is forever trying to convince me that they are nothing to worry about. They do know when a lump is cause for concern as it has specific characteristics that are different to the lumps and bumps that come and go...
As we get older we get more lumps and bumps - and of course, our health anxiety means we are more prone to detecting them. But, if you are still worried (and I totally get that you might be) ask him to do Inflammatory Marker tests as they are a very reliable indication of any sort of inflammation in the body and are standard when testing for Lymphoma.
Please try not to worry as this definitely causes exhaustion - the body kind of shuts down to protect the mind - and we end up wanting to sleep the whole time! I'm sure you are fine...
x