PDA

View Full Version : Palps are ruining my life

mabelina
01-08-08, 21:12
I started having palps when i was 16. Im 99% sure i know why they came on, all anxiety. I have had about 8 ECG'S and 2 24 hours ECG'S, but only the last one came back that i had Supra Ventricular Ectopic Beats, which my gp said was fine, dont worry. The thing that worries me though is the fact that my palps always change. I either get the one big thump, or a flip flop feeling, fluttering, but more so i get the 4-5 fast hard beats lasting maybe even just 2 seconds, which makes me jump out of my skin with fright. Im so fed up with being told to cough or block your nose and blow when these happen because when i get them, they happen so fast and so quick that i dont even have time to do anything then its over. Ive read about so many people with palps being able to do this, and thats what makes me worry, because i havent read about anyone with palps like mine. I also get like an adrenalin surge when they happen and i sweat and feel light headed. I have seen a Cardiologist seven years ago who gave me a thorough examination and x-ray of my heart, and he said it was strong and healthy. I cant help but wonder if things have now changed? My life is ruined because of these, ive never even worked because im to scared of getting a palp when im out (i like to feel safe near my home). I was put on Sertraline and Fluanaxolo at 16 and my palps did stop for a whole year. Last year i was put on Propranolol and they stopped for 4 days then returned. When i finally came off them, i felt so much better, but then they got worse. My doctor has now prescribed Aterol (sorry cant remember the name) but im to scared to take them because of the side effects. Can anyone reasure me im not the only one with palps like these??

nikita
01-08-08, 21:17
Oh you poor luvvie. i just replied to another post about my experience with these, for me more missed heart beats than palpitations but ive had them also. The post I replied to was Heart Anxiety by Rich if you want to check it out. They are so common but i know, they are sooooo scary. However they are not dangerous but i fully understand that when you are having them, each time is as scary as the last and you feel this time it is going to kill you or develop into a heart attack or something. Ive been having them for almost 20yrs and im still going strong!!

mabelina
01-08-08, 21:27
Thanks Nikita for the quick reply. Im constantly waiting for the next palp to arrive. I know, vicious circle. I dont know why some days im great and then BANG there back. Im so down because of them.

nikita
01-08-08, 21:49
I was down for so long because of them also and in doing so wasted some precious times and years. I can look back now and remember so many occasions that were ruined for me because of my FEAR of them. Because the palps themselves were not dangerous or life-threatening. My own fear of them is what caused my anxiety and ruined so much time in my life. Now, I know because Ive had them so long and still survived!, I am no longer afraid of them. I could be out shopping or sitting watching tv and BANG there the little horrors go, making me sit up and catch my breath etc. But i know they will go and not kill me so now I can let them pass without freaking out like I used too. You will too someday when you have convinced yourself that THEY ARE HARMLESS. Because they are. xx

mabelina
01-08-08, 21:54
Thanks so much Nikki. Its funny but i only just found this site and already been posting quite a bit because i can relate to so many people. Absolutely amazing and already i feel so much better im not alone xx

nikita
01-08-08, 22:00
i know, the site is great, a life saver for me and many others. Anxiety and its symptoms can be extremely lonely. You are embarrased by it and dont like to tell people what you are going through. In fact us anxiety sufferers are very brave when you think of what we go through on a daily basis and yet still manage to function and live a normal life and not give up when we feel so bad, but trying every day to cope with horrible feelings in our bodies. Many we dont understand and often when still going to work everyday, rearing our families, doing our day to day things when all the time inside we are in bits but yet we keep going. Anxiety is an illness and an unrecognisable one in many cases and one that isnt easy to see. Its a lonely one, like depression and thats why sites like these are lifebelts to us.

janzenz
04-08-08, 00:21
I can totally relate to your palps... I get ectopic beats. And like you i have had them on and off since 20 (now 39). Just this year though they have come back and are different... I get what you describe as an adreniline surge... I get the thunp or bump ad the get this surging feeling and feel my ears/cheeks burn and sometimes a sweat etc...
It is like i am not anxious unless i get them!!! Horrible... I have been taking Atenonol for about 8 years... They have a habit of changing... Do not know why...
NOt sure what the answer is apart from trying to accept them and get on with life... But i am struggling with this. But even though cannot offer you any answers can relate and sometimes thats helps.