PDA

View Full Version : has anyone felt like this after 6 weeks of been on citalopram?

beri
02-08-08, 15:46
hiya

i apologise now if im repeating any other threads similar to this i looked through them but couldnt see any relating to this exactly.
firstly about 2 years ago i was put on 20mg citalopram this helped initially but then gradually over the 2 years i got slighty worse again.
so about 6 weeks ago i saw my doctor and he increased my dosage up to 30mg.
i started to get a few side affects in the first few days but these pasted quite quickly over the first 2 weeks.
at about 5 weeks in i did start to feel a bit better not loads but just more calmer and less anxious about things. so i was hoping this would just carry on but now over the past week i have just felt so tired and have no energy to do anything at all, i keep feeling like i just want to go back to bed.
im confused because most people i have spoke to that have taken citalopram have improved after about 6 weeks.
i just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar or had any advice, i dnt want to feel like this all the time but i also dont want to stop my medication and my anxiety increase again.
or maybe my tiredness is nothing to do with my medication i really dont know any advice would be very much appreciated.

jenny xxxx :hugs:

milly jones
02-08-08, 17:11
hi beri

ive been on citalopram for 3 months. the hospital have been increasing my dosage slowly to aid my social anxiety. each up dose i get slight side effects.
they do make me more tired but that prevents the dreadful night pas which haunt my life.

i too have felt much improved in my general anxiety and been able to face the outside world. so i think the dose is about right.

however there has been a return of my feelings of paranoia and social difficulties, and ive found interaction with ppl very difficult again. the worrying that ppl are talking about me and what they are thinking of me is strong at the moment.

i guess we have to accept that 'normal' ppl exhibit differences in their own mental health, and even tho we are more sensitive to change, and notice it more, our health and wellbeing fluctuates too.

it may be ur fighting off a summer infection, it may be the medication, or the hotter weather.

however in my experience any side effects of the drugs far outways the dreadful anxiety, even as it reoccurs at the moment.

i wish u a continued recovery and hope u recieve peace in ur life

milly xx

oldhandatthis
02-08-08, 17:26
Yes Jenny, I have had a similar experience. I have been on Citalopram for 8 weeks, 4 weeks on 20mg and then 4 weeks on 30mg.

I had the usual side effects, nausea, tiredness, increased anxiety etc etc, when I first started and then when the dose was increased.

After 5/6 weeks I felt a lift and thought hurray I am through the worst, but in the last few days I seem to have gone backwards a bit, today I have had to have a Lorazepam because I have been so full of anxiety. I was lying in bed this morning with tingling arms and legs which I know is a symptom of anxiety.

I am telling myself that it's a blip, and that you don't recover in a straight line. I am just getting over a horrid cold too.

I saw my GP yesterday and he thought I should stay on the 30mg a few more weeks rather than increase the dose, as 8 weeks in is still early days.

Fingers crossed.

I

milly jones
02-08-08, 17:38
just another thought beri

as u feel better and start to recover, u do more and more.

tackling more involves fighting the anx.

the anx is exhausting

it may just be that ur body is working harder as ur controlling the anx, thus ur feeling more tired

mill x

oldhandatthis
03-08-08, 18:26
I had not thought about the anxiety being exhausting. I have had a cold this week, am hoping that maybe the delicate balance has been upset in my brain which is why I have had a bad couple of days, perhaps now that my cold has gone things will improve.

Or am I grasping at straws???

sulmare
05-08-08, 09:40
I was just going to post about increasing the dosage.. I felt fab for the first 6 or 7 weeks on citalopram (20mg), but now, I feel as though my anx is getting the better of me so is this a sign to increase the dosage...

am seeing the GP today and I'm sure he will increase the dosage, so fingers crossed.

this illness is exhausting, because I spend a lot of time in confusion about what is real and what is imagined, my social anxiety makes it hard for me to mix with ppl, but I can't be left alone for long periods either, as your own thoughts can make you worse..:unsure:

I wouldn't wish this on anyone :weep:

oldhandatthis
05-08-08, 12:12
hi

Been on Citalopram for 9 weeks.

Just back from psychiatrist, have had my Citalopram increased from 30 to 40mg, have to take 35 for a few days first, also Lorazepam to help me through.

Hopefully that will be the correct dosage then...

smokingjax
20-08-08, 13:56
Hi Guys,
It's so sad that we have to go through this problems, I just wish there was a magic spell to relieve us instantly, but there isn't :(
I have to say that after being on Citalopram for 2 and a half years, it has really helped me. The first 2 months I didn't feel real, constantly anxious..playing little games on my phone took my mind off it a bit!
IT DOES GET EASIER! Admittedly it was about 4 months before I was able to cope like a normalish person, still having the odd blip here and there but in the main my happy personality came back.
Now I'm coming off them, wish I'd just stayed on them now! I'm feeling like you guys but at he other end of the journey, just got to hang on in there...
Stay strong, you won't feel like this forever, do exersize, it takes the excess adrenalin out of your body for a bit and helps you calm down, (and it makes you look good!).
Take care, you're not alone x

J x