PDA

View Full Version : My Health Anxiety Story

E14
03-08-08, 12:14
Hi all
Well its a long story but I will condense to make it easeir to read.
Well where do I start.
From an early age I think I have always had a problem with HA issues.
I thought I had the black plague when I was 8 and then thought it had HIV when I was 12 (gotta laugh about that now). Both times I watched programs and then thought I had symtoms. I did however had encephalitis when I was 7 (1week hospital stay)
As I got near 30 I started having severve headaches for many months. Various GP's thought I had migranes and gave me pills.Kept going back but crucially never saw the same GP. Anyway after 9 months I had problems with my eyes and went to an optician. Ended up in Hospital at of that day and was diagnosed with totally kidney failure.
6 months later and my lovely sis gave me one of her's and apart from a few issues all has been well on that front for nearly 10 years.
Since then though and especially over the last 3 years my HA issues have been getting much worse. Yes I was letdown and yes I did have a problem but what I have thoguht I also had over the last 3 years is pretty silly.
Its ranged from Throat cancer to Brain Tumour to MS to Stomach Cancer.
I even thought I had a Vascular problem that only affects 40 people each year in the UK. Beacuse I have private health I have loads of tests done all showing nothing.
So the question I ask myself is I must be making these symtomns up with a great deal of help from the internet.
After last weeks episode of thinking I had Esophegael cancerand nothing actually being there I thought enough is enough.
I am looking to see a congnitive therapist and will combine this with Yoga once a week. I time I know its only my brain that can change this and im now more determined than ever that this was not rule my life anymore.
All I can to people that are worried is be a little concerned when problems happen but take them in stages (A,B C etc) and try not to do what happens to me and go from A to Z by looking at symptomns on the Web.
Thats all for now

J

gtrgrl3369
03-08-08, 15:01
Good morning. First of the number one rule for people with HA is no googling at all. It only makes things worse. You do have a right to be nervous about some things because you have had some health issues. Alaways remeber that our bodies are finely tuned machines that will work properly, and sometimes break down, but you cant ,Ive into the fear that something major is wrong it will only make your anxiety worse, trust me I know from experience. I was convinced I had a brain tumor,I dont. I had severe health anxiety. I now just go with the flow and feel so much better. I still get tweeks and twinges sometimes but I know my mind is seeing how I will react to t. I dont anymore. You will be alright. You have had some issues but you lived through them. It is time to fight the good fight. Live your life honey, not your symptoms.:yesyes:

Nechtan
03-08-08, 15:49
Yes googling is the worst thing to do. Finally I have stopped doing it as all it did was leave me with worst case scenario. That's why these forums are great. Whenever I have a health anxiety I look through the threads here and 9 times out of 10 so far I've found what I am looking for. On the one occassion I did not find I created a new thread and very quickly had my mind put at rest.

I do understand what you mean about not putting everything down to panic or anxiety but I think it's well worth looking through this forum first and if you are still concerned then going to the doctor to get it checked out. Googling just gives you answers you don't want.

All the best

Nechtan