PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and No Appetite?

jedward
04-05-05, 13:13
Hi, I am new to this site and really have seen some posts that resemble my own experiences. I have always been a worrier of health to begin with and I think what has happened is the cause of my own mind, but just wanted a few opinions.

Everthing started about 2 weeks ago, one night I woke up hot, not sweating though. My wife woke up and she was cold and I got worried about myself because I was feeling hot. I had read some things in the newspaper awhile back about a guy who had night sweats and it was lymphoma, or hodgkins disease.

I immediately went on the internet and read the symtoms and panicked!! After that I seemed to have lost my appetite, I still eat but I don't really get hungry. Also now, I have read that a loss of appetite and weight is a symtom for other things!! So now, every morning I wake up and wait to see if I feel hungry and when I don't I get panicky again!

My wife is telling me I have just panicked myself right into all this. She saids it's all in my mind or it had something to do with the real bad cold or flu I had about a week prior to all this...coughing up yellow flem (sorry to be graphic). I had lost my appetite during that time, but regained it until after I freaked out.

Can constant worries like this put my appetite on hold? Is anxiety that powerful with a mind?? Sorry this post is like a novel..

sue447
04-05-05, 13:52
hi jedward,
i have suffered with anxiety for years on and off, yes it can affect your appetite as it does mine sometimes, dont worry to much about this because its part of the package of anxiety, i too have a thing about my health, it seems never ending with me, the only advice i can give, which is starting to work for me, is to take your mind off it by doing something like moderate exersise that will bring your appetite back i tend to drink water through the day that helps me, i also get hot to the extent of my face and ears burning up, i get this after a bout of feeling panicky, it will get better eventually, try not to worry as it adds fuel to this dreaded disorder.
take care
luve sue:)

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"></td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

jedward
04-05-05, 14:18
Thanks Sue for the support! I actually had been exercising much before all of this. I was running 2 or 3 times a week before I got the flu, then it all went downhill. I forgot to mention also that about 10 years ago I had a real bad panic attack and went to get check out, ekg etc. etc. , so I guess I have a internal weakness for this sort of thing.

Jerry

Meg
04-05-05, 14:23
**Can constant worries like this put my appetite on hold?

Is anxiety that powerful with a mind?? **

Yes and yes . Our minds are all encompassing and have a lot to answer for.

Remember men give off more heat than women in general. My partner is always red hot and I'm still freezing and wanting the electric blanket on.
I find it is more defined when the seasons are changing.

**I immediately went on the internet and read the symtoms and panicked!! **

I could reel you off 30 things that give night sweats (which you didn't have - remember) The ones you've picked are two of the more extreme - thus why the media picked on them to embellish further.

Find something that you know you don't have like TB and go and look at the symptoms of that too and see how easy it is to just stick in vague symptoms to a search engine and come out with completely unrelated and irrelevant information that you can twist to suit your frame of mind at that time.

When you're anxious the appitite declines and you're using lots of energy to be anxious - often people lose 30 lbs in 3 weeks without there being any other issues involved .

loss of appetite (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2585)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
04-05-05, 14:51
hi Jedward,

Welcome to the site!! :D

Anxiety has affected my appetite in the past but if anything, it has made me feel even more hungry..

Sarah :D

carlin
04-05-05, 15:03
Hi Jedward,
I definately find that anxiety affects my appetite, i never fancy anything in particular, and eat mainly 'cos i know i have to, i do eat a well balanced diet though, as for looking up symptoms, oh, please don't, it will just get your mind working overtime and you will worry about illnesses that you really are unlikely to have. After having a bout of flu, it's possible to lose your appetite, and this is more likely to be the reason, and being anxious of course, exercise as suggested and try to eat little and often. take care and keep in touch.

maxine
04-05-05, 15:21
When i'm very nervous or anxious i tend not to eat, i know it's the worse thing i could go my blood sugars drop and i feel worse, i try to eat something even if i feel like death warmed up it tends to get me level again.

Sal x
04-05-05, 16:42
Hi.............

I went through a really bad period over Christmas and New Year of having panic attacks and anxiety. I also got a really bad virus which scared the hell out of me. (I think that triggered them off) I was convinced that every symptom I got was a sign that I was dying. I was so sure that everyone else was wrong and I was right, even though my father in law is a doctor and would let me know daily that it was just a virus. As for my appetite, I found myself eating more and more rubbish but still losing weight. Panic and anxiety do strange things to your body, it just took me a while to believe that. (sometimes, on bad days, I still wonder)
I am sure this site will help you loads, as it has done for me.

If you want to chat about any health anxietys, please post them and I will try to reply with anything that can help.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Sal X

S Hill

jedward
04-05-05, 19:41
Thanks all for your posts! They do make me feel much better. I didn't realize that the mind can have such a powerful affect on the body, but I do now.

Thanks all again,

Jerry

mom22
05-05-05, 15:00
Hi Jerry,

Health anxiety is my specialty too! I lost 25 pounds in a very short time when all this started - I just couldn't face eating, but not eating just makes things worse. I learned from here that it is indeed part of the anxiety. Try to eat even if it's just small bits, but more often. You'll feel better for it.

Sue

jedward
05-05-05, 21:12
[quote]
When you're anxious the appitite declines and you're using lots of energy to be anxious - often people lose 30 lbs in 3 weeks without there being any other issues involved .

Thanks...I guess what is making it worse for me is I keep waiting for a hunger urge...then don't really get one and worry more. Still eat...just no real urge.

lin
07-05-05, 12:00
hi jedward

Welcome to the forurm u will get loads of help.When i was reading your post it was exactly the same as wot i had.

I have had anxiety for 3.5yrs, i had a severe cold with sore throat recently on top of an anxiety attack i have just got over. I lost my appetite didn't eat much and i lost a stone and half i got worried it was something serious but i now know it was only the anxiety, once the cold had gone and the anxiety had lifted i started to eat better i now have put my weight back on and esting alot more now. So u will get your appetite back once the anxiety has gone. Try not to worry to much.

take care

linda

jedward
07-05-05, 19:48
Hi Linda....yes, your previous situation sounds similar to mine. When I was sick I didn't feel like eating at all. I guess it esculated after the panic situation I had that night. I feel much better now after learning that anxiety can cause so many physical symptoms.

I guess I had some other factors to, such as loss of income which didn't help.
However, I will be starting a new job on May 9, so hopefully this will snap me out of this state of mind.

Thanks for the post, Linda

Jerry

seh1980
07-05-05, 20:35
Good luck with your new job Jerry. I hope it goes well!! :D