PDA

View Full Version : sleep disorder

kendo59
03-08-08, 14:59
How common is this?

I sit up until the small hours, unable to sleep, my mind racing, turning thoughts over in my head. I eventually get tired and fall asleep (usually between 1am-4am).

Then I sleep through until mid-afternoon, often not waking until 2pm-3pm.

This happens practically every night.

A few times, I've tried to go to bed earlier (11pm) but just can't sleep.
I've also tried waking earlier (6am) to get my body-clock back into 'normal hours', but then within a couple of days I fall back into my old routine of sleeping between 2am-2pm.

I know 12 hours sleep per day is excessive, but I can't help it.

Is it a sign of stress/anxiety that I can't sleep, and a sign of depression that makes me then sleep 12 hours a day?

Do many other people have the same thing?

I so wish I could live a normal life like other people. Get a job, support my family, etc. Being like this is really bumming me out.

kendo59
03-08-08, 15:02
I've even tried taking my meds at different times, but that doesn't make any difference.

mothermac
03-08-08, 19:07
Hi Kendo
I have been suffering a similar problem for the past 3 months at least. I used to sleep like a log and this was welcomed as anxiety is a beast to live with as we know but at least I had the nightime to chill and let my brain rest but not any more.I tend to go to bed and lay for about 3/4 hrs tossing and turning and getting more and more anxious cos I can't drop off,then falling asleep about 4/5 am and getting up at about 8 which is nowhere near enough shut eye.I went to the docs twice and he said it sounds like the anxiety has stopped you from relaxing on a night. I do tend to feel more panicky at night and my thoughts race when I lay in the quiet and I feel quite nervous.
He prescribed me some sleeping tablets and I haven't taken one yet as the side effects have freaked me out(mad or what).
To be honest the past few nights I have slept a bit longer as I have a slight cold and feel a bit under the weather so this may have helped me sleep.Have you been to your docs about this?it may be helpful if you have a chat about your symptoms. Sleeping for 12 hrs isn't good and you haven't really got a lot of hours left to enjoy your day. Have you tried the usual,milky drinks,listening to calming music or leaving a radio on to lull you to sleep?
You are not alone in this as I know how frustrating it is,you feel as though you are the only one up in the world but insomnia is very common. Give me a PM if you are ever up and we will have a chat if I am burning the midnight oil too.