PDA

View Full Version : Hypnosis for Depression and IBS

ElizabethJane
03-08-08, 17:59
I have been receiving hypnotherapy sessions for my IBS. This has been on the NHS and is restricted to four sessions. I have had four sessions which I have found very helpful. However during this period I have been extremely depressed. I waqnted to cancel the sessions but my GP thought they would help me relax. I have another session booked for September but then that course of therapy finishes. I could have more sessions but I would have to pay for them. I did talk to the therapist after the last session and we talked about how far I had come (as I had seen him before) I know that I could probably have done better this time if I hadn't been so depressed and on a couple of occasions I had to go straight to work after the session when I probably wanted to go home to sleep. The hypnosis has helped although today I have suffered the worst bout of diahorrea (sp) and cramping but still went to Church and stopped myself from panicking. I just dont think I'm 'there' yet.

Karen
03-08-08, 20:02
Hi Elizabeth

Have you and your therapist spoken about your depression at all? Have you had any hypnosis for the depression because hypnosis can help depression too.

Have you discussed what will happen after your last session? Could he perhaps do you a CD that you could continue to use, for example?

If not there are other self help hypnosis downloads that can help with depression and with IBS.

You might be interested with the Ease Irritable Bowel Syndrome (http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/downloads/health/irritable-bowel-syndrome.html?2861) and the Come out of Depression (http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/downloads/hypnotherapy/depression.html?2861)

There is also a free Depression Learning Path (http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk) that is worth reading.

I hope you find something here of help to you.

Karen x

Moo
03-08-08, 21:10
Hi

I think that your bad case of diarohea ( i cant spell it either!!!) could be due to 'healing crisis', which is when it gets worse before it gets better. It happens with most types of therapy, massage etc. I am tempted to try acupuncture for my IBS and panic, but am scared of feeling worse than I do now.
I think any kind of therapy is about finding one that feels right for you and not all therapies work for different people. Also, when you have been in a state of tension and panic for a considerable time (10 years for me) that takes some undoing!!!!

Hope you persevere and feel better. I gave up eating bread and that helped my IBS quite abit.

Moo x

ElizabethJane
05-08-08, 21:27
In reply to Karen: Yes my hynotherapist has done a cassette of relaxation techniques and is now in the process of making a cd as not many people use cassettes these days. I still have the original cassette but something that I could put on my ipod would be more practical. I still haven't listened to the Priory cd. To Moo: I like the idea of yours of a 'healing crisis' but I think my diahorrea was probably food related. It is an interesting concept which I will take with me to my final hypnosis session in September. I could see Dr X privately but I would need to be referred by a consultant for BUPA to pay otherwise I think the seesions are £90.00 for an hour which is a lot. My GP kn ows about this treatment as it has been done under the auspices of the NHS. My Psychiatrist does not know that I have been having this treatment and I have a feeling that he might not have allowed it. I am still feeling quite depressed and although I would like to have more hypnosis for my depression I would prefer to wait to wait until I'm feeling a little more motivated. It would be difficult to get BUPA to pay as it usually has to be something physical before they will allow it. Thanks for your replies it helps to clarify what I am feeling and what I want to do about my problems.

ElizabethJane
05-08-08, 21:44
In reply to Karen: my hypnotherapist originally produced a cassette of relaxation techniques which I still use. He and his team are in the process of producing a new cd. It would be more user friendly and enable me to put it on my ipod. I have purchased the Priory cd but I still haven't played it all the way through. I would like to have further hypnosis sessions but these recent ones have been provided by the NHS. Any subsequent ones I would have to pay for myself at £90.00 an hour. BUPA would pay for me to see Dr X but I would have to be referred by a consultant for a physical illness. It it is unlikely that I would be allowed to be treated for depression under BUPA. My cover does not include any psychiatric cover. It is further complicated by the fact that I have been really ill with my depression recently and had all my meds upped. My GP knew I was still going for the hypnosis but my psychiatrist did not and I think would not have allowed me to go. I am still feeling depressed and it is hard to clarify my thoughts. Typing them does help. To Moo: I like the idea of the 'healing crisis' and identify with this as a turning point that we have to go through before we can become better. It is a strong image and I shall certainly carry that with me to my session in September. I'm having an extra session because I cancelled one as I thought I was having surgery on that date. Thankyou both for your imput.