PDA

View Full Version : No Job

scooby28
03-08-08, 22:50
I havn't had a full time job since feb 2007, i had a part time job from oct07 to jul 08 but after having my hours reduced to the point it wasn't worth me going i had to leave it.

All last year I joined losts of different work agencies and i got offered one job last year from them.
I have joined a few so far since leaving my job in july and they just don't seem to be any help at all.

One when i first joined as good as said i would have full time work within the month, this agency finally sent me somewhere last week for two days and now they are saying they don't need anyone there now even though i know there is work to be done.

I went to the job centre the other week and as i left my job cos i had my hours cut to 10 hours over 5 days, i have been told i am unlikely to be able to get job seekers allowance, I'm not sure how this works whether i have to wait 3 months to be allowed to get anything or not get anything ever or just this year.

I do live with my parents so i know i don't have to worry about housing but i do need money to keep my car running so i can get a job and my the bills i do have.

I really don't know what to do anymore to find a job, I have only ever worked in factories but i would like to get into some sort of office work but people only want people with experience or who are really out going which i am neither of.
I am really shy in interviews and this is putting people of hiring me for office jobs.

I look on the internet daily and in the local papers for any jobs i may be suitable for but they all want people with experience or they are just to far away really, and the lack of factory work near me is getting very limited I really don't know what to do anymore to find a job and i just don't know where to go for help.
Does anyone have any suggestions at all.

Lisa-Angel
04-08-08, 14:40
Maybe you should look into doing a short course in administration? This would show the employer that do have skills that could be useful to their company. As for your anxiety, don't worry, you can do distance learning courses so you never have to step a foot into a classroom.

Don't be too hard on yourself, lots of people have been struggling to find work this year because of the credit crunch. You should go back to the job centre, or call them up, and ask about your rights about benefits. They will only be too happy to give you all the information you need.

Good luck xxx

milly jones
04-08-08, 15:01
i too worry about getting a job.

if u dont declare ur anxiety then ur not being truthful.

if u do they see it as an issue.

i think lisa's advice is good to do some aditional training to show that u can learn new skills.

also ive been told to do voluntary work to show prospective employers that u are capable of holding down a position, and that u are reliable, punctual etc. they can also provide u with references.

the other option is volunteering in school where there is always plenty of supply work for reliable classroom assisitants. if u like it posts are always coming up. just an idea.

milly xxxx

scooby28
05-08-08, 11:05
I could hold down a job if i got one, i don't have a problem with working or meeting people. i'm just really shy in interviews and the first few days until you get to know people, and being shy when applying for office jobs is not the best thing, the last job interviewed for was telesales for a graphic design company so i would have to call people all day trying to get them to use the company, i wouldn't have a problem doing this but the office i would of had to work in was the size of a small garage with about 8 people in it and i don't really like to talk to people on the phone in front of people like that thinking they are listening to everything i say.
I'm at the job centre later to tell them i worked two days last week and to see if i might get any dole as i left my job as i had no other choice really other than work 10 hours a week for ever cos the people i worked for weren't interested in giving me more hours.
I lost my job last feb 07 then i was ill with various things so working part time last year was ok at the time as i was in and out of hospital and the docs, but now it's mainly sorted so i want full time work again as i'm broke from not working half of last year and working part time the rest which just basically paid for my car eveytime it broke down so i felt like i was working for nothing, I haven't been out with my friends since march 07 as i havent been able to afford it and i put on alot of weight to and most of my clothes don't fit really and buying new ones is a case of if i really need it i can by it if not i can't.

Jaco45er
05-08-08, 11:25
Hi Scooby

I have never done any good in an interview yet, and managed to get some jobs.

I have also been on the otherside, interviewing people is a past life (not something I particuarly enjoyed).

With all this interview carry on, unless you are a Teacher, Lawyer, Civil Servant, or professions of that nature, most interviewers in the private sector just want to see if you can do the job you are applying for.

What I am trying to get at is, if you see an office job, and you fancy it but don't have the experience, go along, have a go, you have nothing to lose.

Who knows, they might see you as a person who would grow into the job regardless if you have a lack of experience.

I remember I was doing well in an interview in High Wycombe once for a Network Consultant job. The line boss was a Glasgow boy (and I am too), I breezed the techy geek stuff, got on well with them so far, and like a muppet I asked him what team he supported.

He was like Rangers biggest fan in England, season ticket holder, flew up to Glasgow for all the home matches, wanted to snog Ally McCoist, the works.

When he said what's your team? I knew then the job was not mine lol so little tip Scooby, don't get into football , and if the interviewer is German? Don't mention the war.

Good Luck

Jaco

scooby28
05-08-08, 20:15
Thanks everyone, been to job centre today they gave me an application for a place filled in just got to send it off. Also my dad is seeing if there are any jobs where he works. Other than that i'll keep looking.

erialc
05-08-08, 21:52
Scooby,

Keep your chin up :) Job hunting is difficult at the mo, I know I have been doing it for the past 6 months!!!!!

There is a job out there for you, doesn't matter if you are shy or whatever, you will find something.

I am sad though, I dont mind interviews (the only time I ever big myself up lol)

I must have applied for hundreds of jobs, so don't get disheartened, Does your local college do any courses? I know here there are some cheap/free office skills courses just to boost your confidence a bit

Anyways Good Luck with the hunting :)

X C X

milly jones
05-08-08, 22:02
keep at it hunny

there will be something out there for u

take care

mill xxx

Bill
13-08-08, 02:26
I'd been out of work for around 7 years when I decided I felt I was well enough to come off incapacity benefit and find work again. However, I was worried because of declaring that I had suffered anxiety/depression.

I approached the job centre who put me in touch with a Disability Employment Advisor who then put me in touch with a training and consultancy company.

One of their advisors then met me and we went through everything together. They stayed in touch with me to support me until I had found a job.

I wasn't charged anything and I presume the service is still available today.

Anyway, I couldn't find their details until today. They cover the West Country but I would have thought they'd be similar services around the country.

Their website is www.wtcsltd.co.uk (http://www.wtcsltd.co.uk)

A couple of examples from their website of clients they've helped.......

Atif was referred to WTCS by the Disability Employment Advisor at his local Job Centre. Atif was in receipt of Income Support with a disability premium due to having a back injury and asthma but he felt ready to return to work on a part time basis.

Siani had been off work suffering with stress and anxiety for 5 months. She contacted WTCS because she felt ready to return to work. With ongoing support and encouragement from her Personal Advisor Siani's confidence grew; together they approached local nurseries who could potentially offer Siani a job.

Hope it's of help to someone.:hugs:

scooby28
14-04-09, 17:42
This is just an update from me for this thread i started about having no job, I'm glad to say the job that i applied for I got and i have been there since september, It's just factory work but being out of work like i was meant i was so pleased to get it, i don't just work on a line either i have managed to join the quality control team which is good and i do a varity of jobs there which means most days are different which is always good.
Thanks for all your support on here

nomorepanic
14-04-09, 18:31
Congratulations on the new job - well done!

honeybee3939
14-04-09, 20:45
Hi Scooby

Lovely to hear the job sittuation worked out for you many congratulations !:yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx