PDA

View Full Version : Had enough of this trembling lark!

Yvonne
04-08-08, 17:52
Hi All

Sorry I'm not replying to posts at the moment - too concerned with myself - bit selfish I know.

I've just about had enough of this damned trembling. It's driving me insane it really is. I start to tremble when I get up in the morning - and sometimes it can stay with me for hours. It's either proper outward trembling which is visible or this rotten inner trembling thing. Both are horrid and the thing is that once you start trembling you worry about it and of course it starts off other symptoms.

I told the shrink it was unbearable and he said I mustn't describe it to myself like that. What shall I say to myself then - "it's really nice to tremble"!

I've had a really rough few months and I seem to be thinking about the anx all the time. Shrink said to try to change focus but this isn't easy. He said it won't be easy cos the brain is in this mode of thinking anx constantly. He said I have to start small and to start somewhere but it will be gradual and won't be easy.

What shall I focus on for gawd's sake? I work physically hard gardening and housework etc but I can't seem to distract the old mind away from worries about when is this anxiety going to give up and give me some peace etc. I need a really good distraction for the mind but can't think of anything.

I am still restless and feel like I have to keep "doing" - it's getting me down.

Just raised my new med Venlaflaxine from 75mg to 150 and telling myself that the increase may be causing the trembles to be worse but then I think "maybe it aint that". (No scary stories about the Venlaflaxine please cos I just couldn't take it).

Anyone got any miracle cures for this trembling tormenter? I'd be grateful to hear. Also, anyone had hypnotherapy and was it any good?

Oh yes, one last thing - why is it that I go into shops each day and every time I still come over all edgified and orrible. Not panic thank god but very uptight and tense. Yesterday I went to big supermarket but took some diazepam before I went and I was ok. I have been in the supermarket before without diaz and been fine again. What on earth is it ? It's the thinking of course but I just can't get my mind to believe the positive stuff. What the hell is wrong with me?

Thanks all xxxx

Yvonne

Yvonne
04-08-08, 17:55
Oh... just a little p.s. Claire Weekes says "if you tremble tremble, trembling won't hurt you" - I know it won't but it makes me feel crap Claire.

HELP

XXX

sagey
05-08-08, 02:04
Hello Yvonne, not spoken in many months. I can understand about the shakes/trembles. I had them when i was on meds and withdrawing but haven't had them since that time. Could have been the meds but could also have been my heightened anxiety. I suggest you keep a detailed diary so you can go to your g.p. for some answers. Hope you settle down soon and make time to read Dr Weekes.

Worried worrier!
05-08-08, 02:32
Hi there, i recently started trembling when i was taking flupentixol and seroxat. Since i came off the former it's stopped........it is horrible and i really feel for you.
Hope it stops sometime soon x

Yvonne
05-08-08, 09:00
Thanks for the replies

joy
05-08-08, 18:44
I used to shake as well but never knew whether it was meds or anxiety but what ever it was it was certainly horrid

Any other shakers out there

Joy

Bill
06-08-08, 02:38
Hello Yvonne:hugs: ,

It's Good to hear from you, even though the circumstances could be better for you.:hugs:

I think anxiety can become a habit which is then hard to break because thinking about anxious thoughts and feelings become a daily way of life.

When we wake in the morning before we've even started to consciously think about anything, our minds immediately focus on fear and then the trembles start which in turn make us worry even more making the trembles even worse. It's a routine which is very hard to break but not impossible to achieve.

I can remember how I would wake feeling exactly the same way. I'd wake in a sweat and have to dash to the loo because the thought of the day ahead and how I would get through it would make me feel so ill.

Always "doing" things doesn't always help because it depends on what we're "doing" exactly. For instance, if we're mowing the lawn or hoovering a room, we're not having to really think about we're doing because it's "simple" and "routine".

We have minds that bore easily so the easier or more routine the job, the more our minds will focus on worries because we don't have to realy think about what we're "doing". However, when we're faced with something really complicated which is also enjoyble without creating stress, our minds will be totally focussed on what we're trying to sort because our minds aren't being given a chance to wandr onto worries.

Of course we can't change a lifetime of thinking patterns overnight but with small steps it is possible because our minds gradually learn how to cope. For instance, I no longer wake in a panic because I don't fear the new day.

Claire Weekes says "if you tremble tremble, trembling won't hurt you" - I know it won't but it makes me feel crap Claire.

There is a difference between what Claire is saying and how you're interpreting it. What Claire means is that its's normal to tremble when we're feeling afraid but to "accept" the trembling as being "normal" instead of reacting to the trembles and worrying about them which Will make you feel crap.

Worry = fear = trembles = worry = fear = trembles and so on in a cycle. To break the cycle is to accept the trembles as normal without them frightening you into worrying about them and then you'll find the trembles Will stop.

I realise the symptoms are frightening though and it's difficult not to react to those feelings but you'll find if you don't allow them to frighten you, they'll stop trying to frighten you.

I found a stray dog the other day and I took him to the vets. We took him to the kennels to get him out the way as he was such a big dog but when we reached the room where the kennels were, he dug his heels in and refused to budge! He started trembling with fear because either he picked up a scent or had "learnt that the scent of the kennels was something to be afraid of". We couldn't move him so we had to tie him up in another room.

The dog may have learnt to be afraid just as we learn to be afraid because of bad experiences. We learn that if we have a day full of worries and panics then we Expect every day to be the same so we wake Every morning in anticipation of feeling constant fear. We therefore have to learn how Not to wake with this fear by teaching ourselves we have in reality nothing to be afraid of during the day.

We can't expect to wake up one morning and find our fear has gone though because it takes time but time is something we often don't allow ourselves which in turn makes us impatient, frustrated and even more anxious. We have to learn a "laid back" approach to every day by learning how not to allow feelings to frighten us.

Imagine a jigsaw puzzle. A jigsaw puzzle takes time to create by fitting one piece at a time. Learning to cope with anxiety is created in the same way. One good day can lead to another and so on.

If you can give your symptoms a breather by allowing yourself not to worry for even just an hour, you'll find it'll have a knock on effect. I find that if I can find something that needs my Total concentration so I can Forget to worry about Anything during that period, my body feels more relaxed and so my mind is less inclined to worry because I Feel Better in myself. With days of Feeling Better, it then becomes a new way of thinking and living because we start looking forward to each day and start enjoying life again as a new learnt habit.:bighug1:

Yvonne
06-08-08, 09:58
Oh Bill you are amazing

That was truly an excellent reply and I thank you very muchxx

I know exactly what you are saying about t he trembles and what Claire Weekes says - - the trembles are normal under the circumstances.

I so wish I could get myself into something that really absorbps the mind that I also enjoy. It is so so hard at the moment. As you say routine stuff like mowing the lawn and general h ousework etc is just not enough to take the mind away from worries.

Keep in touch Bill - keep writing wonderful posts my friend you are a wonderful support on NMP. xxx

Yvonne

Bill
07-08-08, 02:16
It's a pleasure trying to help such a lovely woman Yvonne. xxx

Hello Julie:hugs: ,

I've been reading through your posts to try and build a picture and I found the following you typed.

i feel as if ive been drinking and like ive walked for miles and miles, this usually carrys on until my body has a good shake or sometimes a good cry lets go of the tension. The doctors can not decide wheather it is a form or epilepsy or anxiety/ depression making my body more sensitive.I know one thing this is taking over my life, im getting to the point that i dare not be alone or go out alone just in case the attack gets worse.

I can see where your fear of being alone or going out alone comes from because of your fear of an attack that you describe above. You also mention about your children growing up and no longer needing you which I'm sure is increasing your worries and so making you feel more anxious.

I feel that your anxious state is creating alot of stress for you so that when you are in company, you're feeling trapped which then creates your trembling.

However, I also feel that because you feel better after a good cry and released the tension, that your symptoms are more likely to be based on your anxiety rather than your epilepsy but that's only a guess and my own personal opinion.

I don't know if you're working but if you're indoors all day with nothing to occupy your mind, your mind will wander onto your fears of being alone and experiencing an attack which then brings on the anxious symptoms you describe like the heavy legs and trembling.

As I've suggested to Yvonne, if you can find interests to look forward to, they'll help you not to focus so much on your fears of being alone. I think also you need a safety net. Someone you know you can call. I think this would then help to ease your fears and then the symptoms would also ease.

If you don't work, have you thought of voluntary or part time work so that you're not alone? If these aren't possible, are their friends you could invite round or visit?

Think what would make you feel more secure, produce a plan and then aim towards it. Sometimes when we feel there's no way out, we can lose hope and so feel worse as a result because our anxieties take over our lives.

I hope the doctors are keeping the epilepsy under control for you. I wonder also whether you could get more support because of your condition?:hugs:

Caz 47
09-08-08, 13:00
Bill what a wonderful response you wrote you should be a counsellor and if you are not you should be thankyou youve helped an awful lot to explain alot of things .....:bighug1: to you