PDA

View Full Version : Propranalol and Asthma

Veronica H
04-08-08, 17:53
Hi All
Has anyone else with Asthma been prescribed this medication? I have Asthma occasionally when my hay fever kicks in but as this is related to a specific grass spore I only get it for a few weeks each year. Unfortunately I have it now. The Dr asked about this before prescribing the drug. I am on 10mg 3 times daily of propranalol. So far I only have a slight weeze. Not sure whether to go back to Dr. Beta blockers are working for me and afraid he will take them away.
Any advice appreciated
Veronica H

Coni
04-08-08, 19:00
Hi Veronica...I had to stop taking propranolol due to a night time cough while I was taking it. I dont have asthma as far as I know, but coincidentally am going to see GP tomorrow with night time cough and also feeling as if I cant breathe properly during the night. I found propranolol helpful too and actually managed to persuade my GP to let me try them a second time, but unfortunately the cough returned so he stopped them straight away. I would go get checked out again by your GP.

Coni XX

decca
04-08-08, 19:58
Hi Veronica,
My cardiologist wouldn't put me on Beta Blockers because I have Asthma so I have calcium chanel blockers instead for my heart condition,no good for anxiety though.
If your Asthma is playing up I'd go back to your Doc. and ask him to give you some extra treatment for it , are you taking Becotide or Ventilin,there are lots of other Asthma Meds to try rather than stop the Beta Blockers.

Best wishes
Decca.

Veronica H
05-08-08, 10:54
hi Coni and Decca
Thanks for your help. I have used Becotide in the past but I am not sure if I should use it with the Beta Blockers. I know I must go back to see the Dr. I will make an appointment today!Thanks again...
Veronica H

intense
20-08-08, 14:03
One complication from Beta Blockers is that they can block the action of drugs like Salbutamol inhalers for asthma. Beta blockers help control breathing, eg, hyperventilating in a person with anxiety by contracting the airway a little (as well as the actions on adrenaline in the heart). Contracting the airway is bad for asthmatics anyway.

But also Salbutamol acts on the same things to dilate the airway for asthmatics in an acute attack. So the two medications would start "fighting" over what to do - contract or dilate the airway - if you were to have a big attack it would be harder to control.

If the doctor tries to take them away, just say you will keep the dosage low. If he does take them away, just confront him that you still have a SA problem and you want an alternative medication. If he doesn't treat you he is with-holding care from you and that's not allowed.

Sorry for the pharmaceutical lesson I work in this field.