PDA

View Full Version : Another new user. Panic for over five years, getting pretty bad.

bandofgypsies
04-08-08, 20:37
Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a place for a while where I could discuss my panic issues with people that know what the feeling is like (it's hard trying to explain it to friends and family that have never had a panic attack).

I'll keep my panic history short:

- Started a few months after I started college. Had a major panic attack in the middle of the night, had no idea what it was, scared the crap out of me.

- Was off and on throughout college, but has gotten much worse since I graduated and started working in the "real world"

- I work at a TV station, and have horrible panic attacks whenever we're about to go live on the air, and stay panicky during the entire broadcast

- Seems like my panic is much worse in the day or two after a night of heavy drinking

- I'm seeing a counselor right now, but have always been afraid of getting dependent on prescriptions so I've never been on anything for a significant amount of time. I've been prescribed Paxil and Xanax, but haven't really wanted to start them. I'm starting to open up to the idea a little bit, though.

Any advice or anything would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to having a forum to discuss these issues with.

nomorepanic
04-08-08, 20:54
Hi Bandofgypsies

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

milly jones
04-08-08, 22:30
welcome to nmp

hope ull gain as much advice and support as i receive here

milly xx

pooh
04-08-08, 23:29
HI Band and welcome along to NMP!

I'm sure you will find lots of information and support on the site.

Pooh x

Alisonj
04-08-08, 23:45
Hi and Welcome.
I can imagine that working at a TV station can really make panic hard. The first step I would try is giving the medication a chance. Atleast the Paxil. I am not a big fan of Xanax as it is very addicting. I hope you find lots of support and answers etc.

Amy2Crazy
05-08-08, 06:21
Hi bandofgypsies!

I can relate to what you said about college. I didn't want to graduate, and was forced to because I had been going for so long (6 years). After I graduated, my anxiety definitely went sky high, and much of my anxiety is work related (which isn't anything like your job, I can only imagine how hard that would be!). This place is really great, and has helped me so much. Knowing that there are others that suffer in the same ways really helps, and everyone here is incredibly supportive.

Keep posting, and you will find help and support.

Amy

Lindalou64
05-08-08, 14:31
Hello And Welcome To The Site, If You Find It Too Hard I Would Try The Meds Xanax Will Calm You And Take As Only When Needed But That Totally Up Too You, I Wish Ya Well, Linda