PDA

View Full Version : on meds but still suffer

gilliano
04-08-08, 21:59
hi just wondrere if there is any one out there like me, im 45 and have suffered for 10 years with the fear of going far from home,i have no idea why im like this, i take citalapram which keeps me happy? just still have this phobia. furthest i can go is an hour, at a push.help any ideas?

milly jones
04-08-08, 22:11
firstly welcome to nmp

have u been offered therapy alongside the meds?

cbt would slowly use small steps to conquer ur fears

love milly xx

gilliano
04-08-08, 22:17
hi milly thanks for replying.

i know it sounds silly as i know its all in my head,theyre just thoughts, it just still stops me from going anywhere far. which is a real bad problem now. especially when holidays are the talking point,i just try and get out of it. silly i know. something to look forward to, i just darent go far.

i have had lots of therapy but not really had cbt
love gill xx

Amy2Crazy
05-08-08, 06:27
Hi gill!
I am also taking citalopram, though only for a couple of weeks, and while it is helping the depression, I am not so sure it is helping with the anxiety and fear that I feel. This forum has really helped me, though, and everyone here is incredibly supportive.

Hope to hear more from you...

Amy

Lindalou64
05-08-08, 14:29
Hello Gill And Welcome, I Know From Experience I Went A Little Further Each Time Wasnt Easy But Got Easier Each Time, Even If You Try 5 Minutes More At A Time, Wish Ya Well, Linda

gilliano
06-08-08, 19:09
hi amy,
thanks for replying , its nice to know people care n are the same,

i feel like im the only one in the world.

love gill xx

Amy2Crazy
06-08-08, 19:35
gill,
you are definitely not the only one. I am lucky in that I live in a small town and nothing is more than a few blocks away from my house, but I had been driving an hour each way to work (and then having to stay there 25 hours) and it was just way too much for me, so I called yesterday and quit.

Do you have access to cbt? (cognitive-behavioural therapy). If so, I have heard that it can really work wonders for these phobias. Unfortunately, I am an uninsured American, so I don't have access to very much unless I am willing to pay 100% and, since I quit my job, I definitely can't afford it.

Just try to keep faith that we WILL get through this, and every small step is a victory.

Always,
Amy

gilliano
06-08-08, 19:44
hi amy
thanks for replying to me,im lots better than a lot of people,its just the fact that im scared to go any distance...longer than an hour? silly but a fact.
when people go on holiday i try and avoid the subject. now that is weird.sureley.

sorry to hear you quit your job i hope you okay

love gillxx

kellie
06-08-08, 19:52
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here

nomorepanic
07-08-08, 22:20
Hi Gilliano

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

Southern_Belle
09-08-08, 00:11
Hi Gill,

Welcome to NMP. Many here understand how you are feeling and you will get support. If I were you I would go a bit further out of your comfort zone day by day even if it is by a minute or two. That way your body and mind might not notice it as much. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Laura