PDA

View Full Version : OCD, anyone familiar with this?

Worried worrier!
05-08-08, 01:25
Hi fellow suffers.
I have had OCD for at least 15 years and most of the time the rituals and things don't bother me too much.
I have the usual things, having to touch things a certain amount of times, counting, intrusive thoughts etc, but since i was 12 i had to say certain things in my head. For example at the time, i was attending sunday school and i used to keep saying 'thank you god, amen' in my head whenever anything good happened to me.
I am not a highly religous person at all and to this day it still comes into my head anytime something good happens, even if i'm doing well on ny nintendo wii!
That is just one of my 'sayings'
I've had CBT for many of my issues and although my councillor gave me tips on how to get rid of these 'sayings' in my head, it hasn't work because they have become a habit and are automatic as they have been embeded there for so long.
I have managed to combat most of my 'rituals' and counts as i can stop myself touching things a number of times when i think about it, but these thoughts and sayings really get on my nerves.
Has anyone else had this and has anyone got rid of it?
Sorry for the long post!!! :)

nic77
05-08-08, 01:52
hi i have the same thoughts and im the same if i dont say certain words a certain way i will burn in some way . i have also managed to stop doing lots of the rituals but this one seems to be the hardest thing to stop doing . i wish i could help you in some way with a tactic but i cant i do know its very commen with ocd to have these thoughts so dont feel like you are weird . i was told by my doctor write them down i never have done as yet i think in someway im just not ready to stop doing it. its like my safety net

im sorry if i have not been much help good luck with trying to find a solution :yesyes:

Worried worrier!
05-08-08, 01:56
I'm actually relieved that i'm not alone in doing this so thank you!
It's so hard to stop doing it isn't it!

Bill
06-08-08, 03:33
In a previous post I listed all my OCD rituals. It used to be a Very Long list too but I no longer give in to thoughts I used to get so that I can get on with living each day without having to repeat things!

I found the best way to overcome them was by resisting just one compulsion. After a time the anxious feelings disappeared which then gave me confidence to confront the next ritual and so on.

It's resisting that first obstacle which is the key because then all the others fall into place because as our confidence builds, our fears reduce.:hugs: