PDA

View Full Version : I'm new

Leigh369
05-08-08, 21:58
Hello all. I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself, but I'm not all that good at this... I'm 26 years old, I'm married with no children, although I do watch my niece quite a bit while my sister goes to school and work (single mom). I've had anxiety for as far back as I can remember, if I had to pick an age, I would say 6 or 7. Is it normal to start that young? I specifically remember the first time I knew something was off with me because I was scared that my mom was going to harm me in some way. I was never abused in any way and my mom was always very affectionate and gentle. I was spanked, but I always laughed at her because it never hurt, which caused her to laugh too. And my dad has never laid a hand on me. It was just an idea that popped into my head somehow and it stuck. I eventually got over that silly idea, but I was left with anxiety about EVERYTHING. I've hidden it from almost everyone, aside from my husband, it's a little tough to hide from him. My family just thinks I'm a worrier, and sometimes that's true, but sometimes the things that go through my head are not average everyday thoughts.

Recently, my anxiety has been focused on health. I am pretty sure that my anxiety focused on health because someone close to me that was incredibly healthy was diagnosed with lieukemia and died. It was such a shock to me and it placed me in this downhill spiral that I can't stop. Before that, I would have phases of anxiety, but they would pass completely and I'd never think of whatever it was that happened to be my worry. I'd be fine until the next thing would set me off. Sometimes 6 months would go by and I'd be completely anxiety free. Sure, I'd still worry, but nothing that I would consider anxiety. But now it's different, I can't seem to shake it this time. It's been about 2 years now, and I'm still struggling and the ironic part is I have gone almost 1 1/2 years with no illness. No colds, no flu, barely even a sniffle. So why do I convince myself that I'm sick with something deadly. A lot of the symptoms I do have I'm pretty sure are caused from my anxiety. But that doesn't stop my mind from going off the deep end! LOL!! I don't make too many trips to the doctor, I'm more of a silent sufferer. I just don't feel comfortable around them and I always clam up and never actually tell the whole truth of my symptoms. Anyway, that was kind of long! I am here mainly for support and I am hoping that talking with people that have anxiety like me will help me. It certainly can't hurt anyway!

If you made it this far into my post, kudos to you and thanks for reading! :blush:

milly jones
05-08-08, 22:12
well a warm nmp welcome awaits u hunny

there are lots of ppl on nmp who have health anx

love to u

milly xxxx

Patty
06-08-08, 00:16
Hi Leigh369,:)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Looking back I would have been anxious as a child as well. I'm also the same as you when going to the doctors - never telling the whole truth about the symptoms - it can be so difficult when you're sitting in front of someone. I think it is so much easier to post how you're feeling on here. It also helps to read other posts & then you know that you're not alone in how you're feeling with anxiety & panic.

All the best xx :bighug1:

nomorepanic
07-08-08, 22:22
Hi Leigh

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

pooh
07-08-08, 23:30
Hi Leigh and welcome along to NMP

Im sure you will find invaluable advice and support on the site and amongst the NMP community

Pooh xx

Lindalou64
08-08-08, 16:35
Hello Leigh And Welcome To The Site I Dont Suffer W/health Anxiety But Anxiety In General Theres Lots Of Info And Im Sure You Will Get Lots Of Support, Wish Ya Well, Linda

lesleya
08-08-08, 20:30
Welcome :welcome: to the site and im sure you will you find plenty of help and support you need here

Southern_Belle
08-08-08, 23:01
Hi Leigh,

Welcome to NMP. Many here understand how you are feeling and you will get support. I have had anxiety as long as I can remember, so I had it as a child too.

Take care,

Laura

Lilith1980
09-08-08, 11:47
Hi Leigh

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

KGlynn420
11-10-08, 17:24
Leigh,
I understand how you feel I am the same. If you ever want to chat Im me on aol kglynn420 or i have a facebook.
Kelly