PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Withdrawal

Asha1979
06-08-08, 01:22
Hi all, I really need some good advice!
I have been on citalopram since march this year, 10mg to 20mg and then onto 30mg. They have worked wonders for me and although I have had the occasional blip day or two I feel they did the job of restoring the levels in my brain!!!:) My doctor has advised the withdrawal to begin in september and said I will go from 30 to 20 for a couple of weeks and then to 10 for a couple of weeks and then nada! I have read so many posts about withdrawal and the word 5mg has featured quite heavily. I mentioned this to my doc but she pointed out that we can't break the 10mg in two as it is small & round and we don't get liquid form of it in Ireland. Was just wondering if anyone has withdrawn from 30 - 20 - 10 like my doc suggests? and more to the point successfully? My doc said the most common symptoms I can expect would be dizziness and that they couldn't be any worse than the side-effects I experienced when starting them, which might I add were horrendous for me! Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am determined to come off these, I just want a bit of reassurance & positivity.xxxx:hugs:

DeeperDown
06-08-08, 03:29
It seems a odd time to move down the doses. My doctor never decreases my dosage near the winter because the shorter days and longer nights don't do much good for anyone, let alone a depressive. Worse planning to come down from 30mg to zero without assessing at each stage is very strange indeed. I've always been told you drop, then assess, and depending on the assessment you make your next move. You don't just lay out a timetable without knowing what each drop does to the person.

I cannot go against medical advice because clearly your doctor knows much more about your individual condition and your previous history than I do, but if you are worried you should certainly go back and ask to talk about it again.

Aside from all that, the worst withdrawal I have ever got was brain freeze. A weird condition that is almost impossible to describe. It feels like your brain is moving inside your skull. Sometimes its surreal and you think your brain is literally shrinking. Its not nice, but you do get used to it and its not painful or nasty. Just very very odd. I believe its quite common for people who are dropping from higher doses. There is certainly nothing like the horrible side effects of going on to the drug. In fact withdrawal can be too easy because you can drop too fast and then end up feeling anxious again. Another reason you should ask your doctor to assess you between each drop in dosage.

But if its reassurance you want here it is. Coming off is 100 times easier than going on. Side effects wise anyway.

DD

Asha1979
06-08-08, 12:04
Thank you for your comment that does reassure me. I am pretty sure that my doc meant for us to assess me as I am dropping down each dose. Good to hear that its not as bad as going onto the drug! Brain Freeze I guess I will just have to handle, not looking forward to it, but can't wait to be drug free again. I just don't want to come off them too quickly and have to start all over again. Would love to hear from anyone that has successfully come off these without having to start them again.

milly jones
06-08-08, 14:53
yes please take care that its not too quick. i ran out and missed 3 days doses.

i feel really crap and totally hyper with agitation

please do it slowly hunny

mill xxx

Asha1979
06-08-08, 23:25
Hi milly i will take it slowly, id never stop abruptly! Hope your feeling back to yourself soon xxxxx

DeeperDown
06-08-08, 23:31
I have said this in another thread but some people can succesfully stop taking these drugs and lead a normal life. It takes work, and you need to be aware of other techniques to control your depression and anxiety. The important thing is you take it very slowly and don't ever push yourself beyond what you are absolutely comfortable with.

As for those who have successfully done it, it may be better posting in one of the non-med forums because they may now be in other sections of the forum, enjoying a non-medicated life!

Just do what is right for you, at the right pace. If you succeed then be proud of yourself. If not then don't take it as a failure.

DD

Asha1979
06-08-08, 23:37
Thanks, I will do it at my own pace but I know I'm going to have to drop from 30mg to 20mg overnight when i do it. I wonder how long it will take to get withdrawals? I was fine before any of this started in March. Just want to be me again - med free. To be able to cry properly without wondering are they chemically induced tears! Feeling a bit sorry for myself & I know I shouldn't cos citalopram has helped me so much. I just worry about the future and I have a 6 year old son so I'm guilty already about coming off them, what way I might be. Cos when I went on them I couldn't really look after him properly and his dad looked after him. My son could sense there was something up all those days I couldn't get out from under the covers. And now I am wracked with guilt, guilt, and more guilt. Want to be free again. Sorry about the rant people.

DeeperDown
07-08-08, 02:22
Rant way. Sometimes its the best therapy of all. But try to understand this, even though it will be hard. Its not your fault you fell ill. Its horrible your son was affected but you had to do the things you did to ensure that you are healthy for him. The choices you made will one day ensure he gets a mummy who is happy and well. He's too young to understand it now, but if he could he would want for you exactly what you want for him... the very best possible life.

Come down slowly but in the knowledge that the withdrawal symptoms aren't to be feared. They are nothing like the same things you underwent when you started the tablets. If you start feeling low then its not withdrawal but the fact you may have gone too fast. If that happens take a backward step and wait until you feel confident enough to move forward again.

And by the way, you don't have to drop from 30mg to 20mg in one go if you don't want. You can buy a tablet cutter (available in most chemists) and drop to 25mg. Or go every other for a week. 30mg one day and 20mg the next. After a week take one 30mg every three days. And after two weeks just take the 20mg. Then when you move down again do the same thing to move from 20mg to 10mg.

Check with your GP of course but its a practice many depressives use to step up doses, and it works just as well to step down. It should offset more of the side effects.

DD

Asha1979
20-08-08, 20:31
Thank you so much for that deeper down it was really positive and very helpful, good to know I am not alone!

choccy25
28-08-08, 14:16
Hi there,

Coming off citalopram was the hardest experience of my life but the most fulfilling for the fact I dont rely on these pills any more.

I was on them for 8 years, I slept too much, I couldnt think straight and put on loads of weight.

I cut back the doses slice by slice and I mean mg by mg. I went from 20mg to 15mg to 10mg to 5mg to 2.5mg to about 1mg using a spoon to crush up the tablets.

My doctor still doesnt know I have managed to wean myself off them and all I can say I wish I had spoken to them.

I found the brain zaps the worst. Like my mind was moving but my brain stopped still if I turned my head too quickly. Imagine a tazer gun!!!
I had nausea and dizziness.
Its been 4 months since I last took any form of the tablet.

I am not perfect but I can think a little better. Plus I gave blood for the first time ever the other week.