PDA

View Full Version : SSRI's and Sexual Performance

Natural Blues
06-08-08, 09:49
Slightly embarrasing topic. Basically, I have suffered from anxiety, panic attacks and at times agorophobia on and off for the past 5 years. When I first experienced anxiety I was put on Fluoxetine. I found it really helpful, and didn't experience any side effects. After about three years, I was convinced my anxiety was behind me, so I was tapered off my medication. Unfortunately, within a year, my panic attacks were back and as bad as ever. I went to the doctors to ask to be put back on an SSRI. My doctor decided tp prescribe me Citalopram, as she believed it was better for anxiety.

Here's where the embarrasing bit begins! When taking Citalopram I actually found that my sex drive increased, and was better in every way (pretty unusual for an SSRI?). Unfortunately, though, it was making me nauseous and spaced out, so I asked to be switched back on to Fluoxetine. Since being back on Fluoxetine, however, I have been experiencing difficulties in maintaining an erection - something I didn't experience in the 3 years I had previously been on the drug. I'm only 21, so I'm convinced it must be the medication.

I had my suspicions that it may have been as a result of the Citalopram, but my doctor insisted that the Citalopram would have already left my system. He told me to wait it out, but the problem has not resolved itself. Has anyone got any advice? Is it possible that the Citalopram has caused this problem? Should I try switching back to Citalopram, because I didn't have this problem on Citalopram, and just persevere through the feelings of being nauseous and spaced out? Is this problem likely to be permanent, even if I were to come off Fluoxetine? The problem is, while I really don't feel addicted to SSRI's I do find them so helpful in combating panic attacks.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

purplehaze
06-08-08, 19:15
Hi

I suppose most people dont talk about medication and loss of sex drive but it does affect so many people. As an ex mental health worker this subject came up many times. It may be that the change overand back has had an affect but I would go along with the doctors advice at the moment for 4 weeks or so and see if there is any change,

If the med is helping with the axiety thats the main thing at the moment but I understand your concerns but give it a few weeks and if no change go back and have a chat with your GP

kendo59
07-08-08, 00:09
Curiously, Citalopran has listed side-effects including impotence and ejaculatory problems in males, and inability to orgasm in females.
Needless to say, when my GP prescribed it for me, I asked for something different.

Nicomi
07-08-08, 13:23
Th spaced out nausea you felt with the Citalopram does pass after a few weeks, well it did with me but it came back again when I came off them.

I would say that whatever you're on you need to give it time to settle and people have said that when you've been on something once, when you go back on them doesn't mean you have the same reaction.

Good luck!