PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations after eating

precious78
07-08-08, 13:51
Does anyone else get this?

I have just had my dinner and afterwards my heart was racing (90, but that is fast for me). I could feel my heart thudding in my chest. And I could feel my stomach palpitating too.

I feel tired now!

Jay1979
07-08-08, 17:08
Hi, Yep I get this too !!

I do get it when im not eating but it always seems to happen at tea time. I find if i over eat it happens so am trying to have smaller portions !!

It might be something to do with that im scared of being sick so when i feel full maybe my mind thinks im gonna be sick

Tom_M
07-08-08, 18:44
Hi precious78

It's normal to have a higher pulse rate after eating a meal. The blood supply to your stomach is increased considerably so your heart as to increase it's output.

Tom

precious78
07-08-08, 21:53
Thanks guys! Quite scary at the time. My slow breathing and everything didn't help. Feeling better with it now.

Rachey poos
07-08-08, 22:21
All the time xxxxxx

Mikke
08-08-08, 02:13
That's normal!
Your pulse goes up after meals, and 90 bpm isn't high at all :)

You will experience your pulse going up in hot weather as well, as your body works harder to transport heat away from the body.

A lot of people also get a higher pulse the first couple of hours after getting out of bed, as different stresshormones gets pumped into the blood.

I found out I had to stop measuring my heart beats, as all the ups and downs during the day made me so anxious I had a lot of palpitations from taking my pulse alone.

Piglet
08-08-08, 14:04
Happens to me too and again mainly at dinnertime.

Love Piglet :flowers:

never2late
14-08-08, 22:30
I'm so glad that someone (precious78) posted about this. I've had this for as long as I can remember. The more stressed I am during the daytime hours, the worse it is after dinner. Usually kicks in beginning about 30 minutes after eating, and is really kicking by one hour after eating. It can last for quite some time into the evening if I'm particularly nervous.

I've always been concerned about it, but there aren't many posts at all about it anywhere on the Net.

I had a particularly bad bout of these last night after dinner.

Then -- just earlier tonight -- I thought I would try an experiment.

I have an Rx for xanax to take "as needed" for anxiety and panic. I'm not real fond of taking them at all, but they have been helpful (and a Godsend) on ocassions.

Tonight I decided to take a quarter of one (I rarely take a whole one) about an hour or so before dinner. My wife and I went out, had a big dinner, and here I am waiting for the rapid, hard heart beats, and they're nowhere to be found.

So . . . in essence, I would assume that if a 1/4 xanax can remove the symptom, it has to be nervous system related -- and not something physically organic in nature.

Thanks for the post. It is also reassuring (as always) that other people experience this as well -- although it would be best if none of us did!

Rachey poos
14-08-08, 22:36
well done hun to regognize... i think when we are tuned into our hearts like us lot we just notice that our hearts are goin fast but actually everyone elses will be too...but ours will be slightly faster cos of the extra adrenaline worrying about it !!!! xxx

never2late
14-08-08, 22:56
Thank you Rachel. I was sent to the hospital 3 weeks ago -- for the first time in 52 years -- with those darn skipped heart beats. Scared me half to death (literally). Blood Pressure in the emergency room was 214/116 due to the severity of the panic that I had over them.

Let me tell you that I've learned a lot about them in the past 3 weeks -- so I'm not going to wind up there again!

Also, I visited your blog. Very nice! I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your Truffles party. I'm assuming that these are all hand made? How wonderful! I love ANYthing handmade . . . from chocolates to furniture (and everything in between). Keep up the good work, and its a great blog.

I also see that you, too, suffer from those skipped heart beats. If its any consolation to you (and everyone else here) the emergency room doctor told me not to worry about them. But they ARE scary when they're happening. Especially when they're happening in combination with panic to begin with.

Personally, I think we're ALL really brave people to go through the terrible times that many of us have -- some for years and years. Most "normal" people can't even tolerate getting wet in the rain!!!

Rachey poos
14-08-08, 23:27
aw thanks hun.... what a lovely post ... yes my truffles are all hand made xx thanks for ur support .... bless u ending up at hospital ...were u havin them bad!! i can get them every other beat ..horrid!! xxx:hugs:

zaeem
24-06-11, 00:31
Does anyone else get this?

I have just had my dinner and afterwards my heart was racing (90, but that is fast for me). I could feel my heart thudding in my chest. And I could feel my stomach palpitating too.

I feel tired now!
i have the same i feel sad and frightened