PDA

View Full Version : Endoscopy done but still symptomatic

JennyW
08-08-08, 08:20
Hi all. After suffering indigestion symptoms on and off for the last couple of months, I had an endoscopy done on Wednesday. Prior to this I was taking lansoprazole daily which kept me comfortable and to the point I thought I was cured.

Anyway, procedure was carried out and the consultant told my husband that everything looked perfectly normal and that this has probably all happened due to a chemical imbalance due to stress/lifestyle etc and happens to everyone. He said I could stop taking the lansoprazole but take them on a "as needed" basis. So procedure was done Wed and I therefore didn't take a tablet Thursday, however since Thursday I've been very gassy, bloated, burping etc - so not sure if it's from stopping the medication or it's the result of the invasive procedure?

I took a lansoprazole this morning to help settle things down.

Has anyone else suffered indigestion type symptoms after the procedure? I was hoping that I wouldn't have to keep taking the tablets if everything was seen as "normal" inside my stomach. And as the consultant doesn't need to see me again, I'm not too sure what to expect.

Oh, I was also given 3 pictures of my insides - obviously to let me know all was well. If there was something horrible inside me, what does the consultant look for - is it a lump or bump or colour change of the skin?

Southern_Belle
09-08-08, 14:38
Hi Jenny,

I had this procedure done and they did a biopsy for celiac disease on me not for the problem you currently are going through. I did want to tell you that I did not have the problem afterwards like you. If you still have questions as to what they were looking for you might want to call the doctor's office and ask a nurse or even the doctor himself. As for the problems you are having now, it could just be your system had gotten used to the meds you were on and your body is having to readjust itself or it could even be your diet. I hope you feel better soon. Try and relax as the doc said everything is alright.

Take care,

Laura

JohnBliss
09-08-08, 17:01
Hi Jenny
I was prescribed lansoprazole to heal the ulcer that my endoscopy revealed.Although the ulcer is long since healed I continue to take the lansoprazole to prevent the build up of acid which may have caused the ulcer in the first place.If you are continuing to suffer from acid indigestion diet is clearly a consideration but maybe it would be as well to continue with the lansoprazole
Glad you had apositive result from the endoscopy
Regards
John

JennyW
11-08-08, 08:17
well I'm feeling a bit better today - just cant believe the symptoms returned so quickly having only stopped the tablets for 2 days :scared15: . As a matter of course, I have booked an appointment with the consultant for the beginning of September to discuss how I feel (even though he said I didn't need a follow up). During this time I will try and come off the tablets again but if I cant, then I cant, so I've got 3 weeks to see how my system settles.

JennyW
11-08-08, 08:20
Hi Jenny
I was prescribed lansoprazole to heal the ulcer that my endoscopy revealed.Although the ulcer is long since healed I continue to take the lansoprazole to prevent the build up of acid which may have caused the ulcer in the first place.If you are continuing to suffer from acid indigestion diet is clearly a consideration but maybe it would be as well to continue with the lansoprazole
Glad you had apositive result from the endoscopy
Regards
John

Hi John. I really don't know from my diet, could cause the indigestion. I have a healthy diet and very careful with what I eat. I avoid a lot of high sugar/high fat foods etc, but I suppose it could be something very simple?

Dooges
11-08-08, 08:43
I Jen,

I also had a endoscopy done and they fnd mild gastritis with me as I am still suffereing with the same symptoms as you.
I'm also having a colonscopy done on Thursday to check that end also.
VERY nervous about all of this but from what I have read, the anxiety issue can play havic on your digestive system.
For me I hope it's only anxiety and once I have this test I can put it all to bed and get on with life. Or at least not worry about the gassy bloating feelings which will fade with time I hope.
Hope all is well with you