PDA

View Full Version : Over Active Thyroid

ceecee
08-08-08, 15:09
hi everyone i was just wondering if anyone else here at NMP has this:unsure:
i had my blood s taken yesterday and when i got back from work this afternoon,my hubby says"oh i forgot to say but the doctor phoned to say that you have to phone the surgery"(i could have killed him as when he told me the surgery was closed for another 20 mins for lunch!!!!):mad:
anyway when i got over a HUGE panic attack i phoned them and she said that its not urgent but the doctor would like to see me one day next week,regarding my blood tests as it came back with an under active thyroid.
i don,t know anyone else who has this and i really would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice:)
thank you all so much

countrygirl
08-08-08, 15:15
Hate to point this out but your header says over active thyroid but your post says under active thyroid??????

Underactive is incredibly common in women and just means you will have to take a tablet called thyroxine for life and have regular blood tests.

Overactive is a bit more risky as they need to get it less active as soon as possible as it has a much more dramatic effect on your heart so they usually try tablets first and if that fails then radiotherapy or surgery .

I would imagine you are underactive as it is so common and produces vague symptoms.

I volunteer for a thyroid advisory service so if you can confirm what you actually have and want to ask any questions please do.

Leigh369
08-08-08, 17:27
Try not to worry too much. I had my thyroid checked 2 years ago and it came back as underactive (also called hypothyroidism). They tested me again a month later and it was within the normal range and its stayed that way. I don't know how low yours is, but trust me, if it was low enough to cause harm, they would've told you to go to the hospital rather than wait a week to see the physician. While an underactive thyroid does need medical attention, it won't kill you. And the best thing is, the doctor's detected it and they'll get you straightened out. I think what they give is a pill that you will have to take; a hormone replacement drug to make up for what your thyroid isn't. That's what I remember being told when I was tested anyway.

I know its hard, boy do I know, but try not to think about it too much. You'll be okay, I promise!! :hugs: