PDA

View Full Version : Meetings From Hell!!

lemonade
09-08-08, 13:22
I have always been a bit nervous at the right times, interviews, presentations etc. Although I realise I am having a hurricane inside I have become the master of diguise over the years.

My problems is I sometimes have panic attacks during meetings at work!!! Can you imagine!! I know I have a reputation for being very professional and confident but I just could not disguise my last attack which is so embarrassing :blush:

This is my panic attack stages:-

1. I realise I am a bit nervous of this meeting coming up (not all just odd ones)
2. I begin to fret about the event
3. I talk to myself and prepare well
4. I do not drink any alcohol or coffee in the few days running up and deep breath
5. I sit down and I am churning
6. My hear begins to race and my head swirls
7. I begin to shake and when it is my turn to speak I am out of breath
8. Colours become brighter where my pupils are contracting

Once I have started to speak all symptoms subside within a minute or two and I go on to conduct the meeting very well and become very confident.

The panic attack I had last week was the worst so far and now of course I will be more worried the next time as I have escalated for some reason.

I have tried meditation (which is great by the way), excercise (swimming) and these have allowed me to control my daily anxiety.

So I am left with this one meeting problem to overcome and am thinking of asking the doctor for some beta blockers to help me through these pre meditated moments of panic (about six a year).

Do you think this will help, I can cope with the hurricane I just do not want anyone else to see it!!!

Thanks for reading

Southern_Belle
09-08-08, 13:33
Hi Lemonade,

Welcome to NMP. I felt the same before I had to give speechs in Speech Class in college. I would think if you weren't doing a good job your Supervisor would be saying something unless you own the company. I felt I was doing lousy speechs but it was all internal and was quite surprised when I got the highest grade you could achieve in the class.

Perhaps before the meeting you could go somewhere quiet (the bathroom perhaps) and do some quick meditation to calm your nerves before the meeting? If not, try some deep breathing. You might also try hypnotherapy, some here have found it works very well. Since you can go on and do the meetings if I were you I would take medication as a last resort. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Take care,

Laura

kellie
10-08-08, 01:03
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here, you will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.

take care :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxx

Lindalou64
11-08-08, 12:28
Hello And Welcome To The Site, I Wish Ya Well, Linda

Cheekyone
11-08-08, 17:16
If you only need help for panic attacks on a very occassional basis your doctor might prescribe valium, which is a lot more effective than beta blockers and once you knew you had a way out of the panic you might find you don't need the drugs! i have a stash of valium and just knowing it's there for immediate relief if required means i never take the things!

leonard
11-08-08, 17:55
Hi lemoade
I feel you are antiscipating the meetings too much. Therefore it is causing all of this anxiety and panic. Somehow you have to distract yourself from the thoughts. Easier said than done though. Once you start your speech the panic goes. How about asking if you could go first? Hope this helps.
Leonard

nomorepanic
11-08-08, 21:59
Hi Lemonade

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help

weeble40
12-08-08, 16:37
welcome to NMP hope to see you around sometime

Emma xxx

milly jones
13-08-08, 21:14
Hi hun

a warm nmp welcome to u

hope that u gain as much support and help here as i do

love milly xxxx