PDA

View Full Version : New member

black dahlia
09-08-08, 18:50
Hello all,
I am a newbie!

I have spent most of my adult life ( am now 40!) suffering anxiety,panic and depression- luckily I've had great support from family and my GP but earlier this year I had a really bad phase needing 5 weeks off work and decided to ask the GP to refer me to mental health services for some more formal help.

What a relief! Have been seen by a psychiatrist who has really helped me to believe that there is hope finally getting rid of this awful thing. He referred me for relaxation classes run by my local mental health team - I have been going for 3 weeks now and it has helped soooo much!!

I know there's no quick fix but at last I feel I am starting to reclaim my life

Keep the faith!

lorac
09-08-08, 18:57
Hello

:welcome: to the site, I am sure you will get lots of good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

smile
09-08-08, 21:58
Hiya and welcome to the site,quite new myself and everyone is lovely.So glad the relaxation classes are working for you,may I ask what sort of stuff you do at the class as this sounds like something I could do to help myself,just a new member and already you are helping others,well done to you:hugs: take care,smile xx

BexieB
09-08-08, 22:58
Thanks for your post Black D and welcome. Great to see you taking control of the situation :yesyes:

Alisonj
09-08-08, 23:41
Welcome and I am glad that you are now getting help! Hope things only get better and better!

black dahlia
09-08-08, 23:52
Hiya and welcome to the site,quite new myself and everyone is lovely.So glad the relaxation classes are working for you,may I ask what sort of stuff you do at the class as this sounds like something I could do to help myself,just a new member and already you are helping others,well done to you:hugs: take care,smile xx

Hi

We have been concentrating on correct breathing techniques ,Eg this week we learnt the 'full yoga breath' which apparently has loads of benefits not just for relaxation but also boosts immune system .

We,ve also been learning relaxation techniques eg visualisations that help to induce feelings of calm.

One of my most irritating symptoms is intrusive thoughts and not being able to 'stop' thinking about stuff that is worrying me and the classe have helped to develope a techniques whereby I 'lock ' these thoughts and worries into a box or trunk with a key- I can then either keep the key or chuck it away- depending on whether I want to go back to the box or not. Once I have locked the stuff away I can focus on relaxing.

Not sure that my description does the classes justice but i would def recommend finding out about any that you can join.:yesyes:

titchjd
10-08-08, 00:27
Hiya that sounds gud and helpfull ....what area do u live in ....will ask about it when I se my counsellor next week ..i realy struggle with intrusive thoughts ...I always think the worst .

Carry on and get better
Luv and hugs
Titch xxx

kellie
10-08-08, 01:10
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here.
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.
We all understand here what you are going through so keep posting and we will help you as much as we can.

take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

smile
10-08-08, 09:53
Going to deffo ask my nurse this week about group you described-I especially like the part where you are able to put your worries in a box ,keep well xx:hugs:

Lindalou64
11-08-08, 12:20
Hello Black Dahlia And Welcome To The Site, I Wish Ya Well, Linda

Southern_Belle
11-08-08, 19:48
Hi BD,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and you will get support. Glad you are here and that you are finding relaxation classes helpful.

Take care,

Laura

nomorepanic
11-08-08, 21:51
Hi Black D

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

milly jones
13-08-08, 21:37
Hi hun

a warm nmp welcome to u

hope that u gain as much support and help here as i do

love milly xxxx

eternally optimistic
13-08-08, 22:33
Hi there,

You'd probably like yoga, my doctor recommended I take it up and I did and I LOVE it.

Best of luck with everything.

J

Kelley30
14-08-08, 08:38
Welcome to the site hun, Im sure you find the help and support you need
xx

Lilith1980
14-08-08, 17:44
Hi Black Dahlia

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx