PDA

View Full Version : Information on Effexor/Venlafaxine

MyNameIsntRich
10-08-08, 06:34
My personal thoughts and Experiences with Effexor (Venlafaxine)

I would like to express that in no way is any of this advice or information coming from a Medical Professional. I am simply a Man who has dealt with this drug and has had many experiences with this drug. I have done much research on my own into the effects and side effects of this drug. In no way do I offer any of this advice or information to trump your MD’s own advice.

What is Effexor?

Venlafaxine (Effexor, Efexor) is an antidepressant of the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) class first introduced by Wyeth in 1993. It is prescribed for the treatment of major depression and anxiety disorders, among other uses. Due to the pronounced side effects and suspicions that Venlafaxine may significantly increase the risk of suicide, it is not recommended as a first line treatment of depression. However, it is often effective for depression not responding to SSRIs.

Venlafaxine is used primarily for the treatment of major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder in adults.

Venlafaxine is not recommended in patients hypersensitive to Venlafaxine. It should not be taken by anyone who is allergic to the inactive ingredients, which include gelatin, cellulose, ethylcellulose, iron oxide, titanium dioxidehypromellose. It should never be used in conjunction with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), due to the potential to develop a potentially deadly condition known as serotonin syndrome. At least 14 days time lag are required between the intake of Venlafaxine and MAO inhibitors. Caution should also be used in those with a seizure disorder. Venlafaxine is not approved for use in children or adolescents. and

(Taken from wikipedia)

Effexor side effects

More common
Changes in vision, such as blurred vision
Headache
High blood pressureLess common
Chest pain
Fast or irregular heartbeat
Mood or mental changes
Ringing or buzzing in the earsRare
Convulsions (seizures)
Itching or skin rash
Light-headedness or fainting, especially when getting up suddenly from a sitting or lying position
Menstrual changes
Problems in urinating or in holding urine
Swelling
Talking, feeling, and acting with excitement that you cannot control
Trouble with breathingIncidence not known
Abdominal or stomach pain
Agitation
Black, tarry stools
Bleeding gums
Blistering, peeling, loosening of skin
Bloating of the abdomen
Blood in eye
Bloody urine
Bloody, black, or tarry stools
Blue-green to black skin
Chest pain or discomfort
Confusion
Confusion as to time, place, or person
Cough or hoarseness
Coughing up blood
Dark urine
Decreased awareness or responsiveness
Decreased frequency or amount of urine
Depression
Difficulty with breathing or swallowing
Doing the opposite of what one is requested to do
Dry cough
Extra heartbeats
Eye pain
Fast, pounding, slow, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
Fever with or without chills
General feeling of tiredness or weakness
Hallucinations
Hearing loss
High fever
Hives
Holding false beliefs that can not be changed by fact
Hostility
Increased menstrual flow or vaginal bleeding
Increased thirst
Indigestion
Involuntary movements
Irregular heartbeats
Irritability
Joint or muscle pain
Lethargy
Light-colored stools
Lip smacking or puckering
Loss of consciousness or coma
Low blood pressure
Lower back or side pain
Mimicry of speech or movements
Muscle cramps or spasms
Muscle pain or stiffness
Muscle twitching
Nosebleeds
Overactive reflexes
Pain, redness, or swelling in the arm or leg
Painful or difficult urination
Pains in stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
Palpitations
Panic
Paralysis
Peculiar postures or movements, mannerisms, or grimacing
Poor coordination
Pounding or rapid pulse
Prolonged bleeding from cuts
Puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
Puffing of cheeks
Rapid breathing
Rapid or worm-like movements of the tongue
Rapid weight gain
Rash
Recurrent fainting
Red or dark brown urine
Red skin lesions, often with a purple center
Red, irritated eyes
Redness in the whites of the eyes
Restlessness
Severe muscle stiffness
Severe sleepiness
Shivering
Shock-like electrical sensations
Sore throat
Sores, ulcers, or white spots in the mouth or on the lips
Stupor
Sweating
Swelling of the face, lower legs, ankles, hands, or fingers
Swollen or painful glands
Tightness in the chest
Tiredness
Twitching, twisting, uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
Unable or unwilling to speak
Uncontrolled chewing movements
Uncontrolled movements of the arms and legs
Unexplained bleeding or bruising
Unpleasant breath odor
Unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
Unusually pale skin
Vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
Weight gain
Wheezing
Yellow eyes or skin Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
More common
Abnormal dreams
Anxiety or nervousness
Chills
Constipation
Decrease in sexual desire or ability
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Drowsiness
Dry mouth
Heartburn
Increased sweating
Loss of appetite
Nausea
Stomach pain or gas
Stuffy or runny nose
Tingling, burning, or prickly sensations
Trembling or shaking
Trouble with sleeping
Unusual tiredness or weakness
Vomiting
Weight lossLess common
Change in sense of taste
Muscle tension
YawningIncidence not known
Night sweatsAfter you stop using this medicine, it may still produce some side effects that need attention. During this period of time, check with your doctor immediately if you notice the following side effects:
Actions that are out of control
Anxiety
Changes in dreaming
Continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
Convulsions (seizures)
Crying
Depersonalization
Diarrhea
Difficulty with coordination
Dizziness
Dry mouth
Dysphoria
Euphoria
Fear
Feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
Feeling unwell or unhappy
Headache
Hearing loss
Hyperventilation
Increased sweating
Irregular heartbeats
Irritability
Light-headedness
Loss of appetite
Loss of bladder control
Mental depression
Mood or mental changes
Muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
Nausea
Nervousness
Nightmares
Paranoia
Quick to react or overreact emotionally
Rapidly changing moods
Restlessness
Sensation of spinning
Sensory disturbances (including shock-like electrical sensations)
Shakiness in legs, arms, hands, or feet
Shaking
Shortness of breath
Sleeping or unusual drowsiness
Sudden loss of consciousness
Talking, feeling, and acting with excitement
Trembling or shaking of hands or feet
Trouble with sleeping
Twitches of the muscles under the skin
Unusual drowsiness, dullness, or the feeling of sluggishness
Unusual tiredness or weakness
Vomiting
Weight loss (Taken from mayoclinic.com)

Getting off Effexor

This may be the hardest thing in the world for most people to do who are on this drug. The Tapering off this drug is more often then not extremely slow and mentally exhausting.
If you are experiencing symptoms you would like to know about please look above in the side effect section and there is a long list of many side effects you can have while coming off of Effexor. These are not the only symptoms or side effects. Many are brought on by nerves and anxiety while discontinuing this drug.

Your health care professional should be the one who plans and enforces a tapering system for you to get off of Effexor however if they are un reasonable or un aware of the complications of withdraw from this drug then I would urge you to offer them information about it and ask them to look more deeply into a slower tapering plan. If they seem un interested please find a new Dr. who cares.

My Dr Prescribed Me Effexor, What do I do?

Well, I would start by asking the Dr. why they would suggest such a drug that has a vast history of complications and side effects. I would also ask if they are aware of the withdraw and extremely long tapering process needed to get off of this drug. Don’t be mean to your Dr. just make sure they are aware that this is a big issue. I would also encourage you to try and exhaust all other medical and psychiatric options before using this drug. If I were a Dr. I would never use this drug at all unless it was the extremely last thing I could ever think of to help a person. In that case I still wouldn’t offer it as I think its one of the worst drugs ever but that’s a personal opinion.

I hear all these horror stories about Effexor is it true or an Over Reaction?

It is 110% true. I am a living example of what Effexor can do to someone. While many people seem to not have any issues far more seem to have adverse reactions to this drug. Before starting this drug I would make sure that I was aware of what I was getting myself into. Effexor can cause your body to become physically addicted in a way comparable and even said to be worse then heroin and methamphetamines. Please be 100% sure of what you’re getting into before starting this drug. It won’t kill you but all too often it isn’t the wonder drug it first seems to be.

Other Things to know about Effexor.

If you don’t take your pills at the same time daily it will often cause withdraw, the half life of this drug is super short and can cause you to literally feel like you’re as ill as you have ever been within hours of missing a dose.

Take Effexor with Food! Please if you don’t eat when you take this drug it will make you sick! Really cruddy feeling all day in fact. Everyone I have ever talked to has had this reaction when they don’t eat with the drug.

Brain Zaps!
Well, this is in the top 3 of the worst complained about things when lowering or coming off of Effexor. Along with Dizziness and a sense of not being in your body. It can literally feel like you have an electrical shock going through your body and often coinciding with your eye movement and sight. Often also described with seeing in blocks or burning in your back/neck. This is common you aren’t dieing it’s just your body reacting to the lack of drug in your system. It will not cause you any harm other then mental and is not a sign that you’re dieing. Please be aware that this commonly happens on the 2nd day of missed or reduced dose and worsens gradually into the 5th day and sometimes beyond. This usually peaks at day 4-6 and starts to lessen in severity there after the peak. It can last from several weeks to over a month. Often people I know are pretty much done with this sensation at the two week mark completely and at the one week mark it becomes more livable. No doubt about it. Getting off Effexor if you have a withdraw reaction to doing so will probably be two of the hardest weeks of your life. However YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Please be aware that once again I am not a Dr and offer no advice medically but I offer all personal experience stories that I and several friends/family have had with this drug. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will add more or correct anything in this post as information or requests come in. Please feel free to edit anything on this post or even delete it if it doesn’t meet with the TOS of this forum. I only posted it as a collective place of information on a drug that there isn’t much information out there on. If it is worth it please sticky this post as well and we can add to it as we gather more information. Thank you

Not Rich

Kilsally
06-09-10, 01:15
hmm weight gain and decreased sex drive (also take longer during sex) on venlafaxein ...... heartburn / indigestion, sweating alot (it has been warm but still seem to sweat alot more than usual), spots / acne outbreak on chest & upper back and also rough skin around back of neck / upper back & chest that peels when rubbed

dizziness, foggy head and sever headaches if i miss even one dose