PDA

View Full Version : Escitalopram - starting off

missanxious
10-08-08, 12:57
Hello

I have been presribed Escitalopram by my GP for anxiety and I have been carrying the prescription around with me for 3 weeks wondering whether or not to go on it.

I've got all these questions going around my head - if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

I used to be on Citalopram for a year - it really helped my anxiety but made me put on loads of weight - it has taken me a year to lose this weight after coming off. My GP said the side effects of Escitalopram are different though - so I am really hoping it won't make me put on weight. Has anyone found that they haven't put on weight? If they have then can you control the weight gain with diet / exercise?

My GP has prescribed 10mg to start off with. I have seen that other people started off with 5mg - do you think 10mg is too high to start off on? Has anyone else started off on this amount?

Also the long term effectiveness... My GP said that I should be on Escitalopram for a minimum of 2 years for it to really have a lasting effect. What do other people feel about this? Do you think you need to be on it for this long?

Thanks so much for reading, any advice welcome.

bab
10-08-08, 16:00
Hi There,

My psychiatrist asked me to go on 10 as that is the standard dose but as I have "a thing" about tablets and worrying, I asked my GP if I could start on lower dose. there are pros and cons - if you start on 10 I think it gets into your system quicker and its only 1 set of side effects to deal with, if you start on 5 it builds up slower so slightly less effects but you then get effects from upping the dose so if i were you i would start on the 10 get them in your system and let the side effects (if u get any) come and go. you may not even get side effects.

missanxious
10-08-08, 16:12
Hey Bab

Thanks for your message. I think I will go for the 10mg then and just deal with the side effects all in one go! I don't remember having too much trouble going on Citalopram - the difficult bit with that was coming off - so hopefully Escitalopram will be ok to get onto also.

What do you think about the length of time this med should be taken for? I don't really like the thought of being on it for 2 years+ but I guess I could always come off sooner if I wasn't getting on with it.

THanks for your reply :hugs:

scampi
20-08-08, 21:26
hiya, i took my first pill today, i have now read forums on this site and am really worried about the side effects, if i do get any, i just hope in the ling term they will help me overcome my constant fear of things, social phobia, and help me to lead some kind of a normal life

bab
20-08-08, 22:16
Hi Miss anxious and scampi just wondering how you both are

scampi
21-08-08, 12:42
Hi babs, thanks for asking, i slept ok last night,but woke up earlier than normal. Have taken another pill today, so far all is ok, but am only on 5mg for 2 weeks, then need to increase the dose. I am just looking forward to hopefully feeling like a member of the human race, and not an outsider. We can only wait and see !!