PDA

View Full Version : Hello - and help!!!

flyby
08-05-05, 02:00
Hello all, it's almost a relief to get this down...I think that I have had a panic attack but am unsure. I am 35 female and about 15 yrs ago was raped quite brutally and for some reason I have been starting to think about it again from time to time. Last night, out of the blue, my hands and arms (and then my feet and legs) got pins and needles and I went very cold and shaky and confused. I went to the doctors but I couldn't say that I was feeling particularly anxious and i don't think I was breathing too fast or anything. The doctor thinks it was a panic attack, but what I want to know is - why do they come when you least expect them, and is it normal to get these symptoms and feelings of impending doom? Because of the shaking and pins and needles I am now convinced I have got MS and then it all starts up again, the feelings of panic. I feel really guilty burdening anyone with this because I know that I'm not the only one and I'm not looking for any sympathy but I would be really grateful for any help and advice. Thanx;

sal
08-05-05, 02:09
Hi Hun

Have replied to your last post. What you have being through i couldnt begin to imagine and i can appreciate how you feel now. Noone should have to go through what you have and it hurts me to think you have.

I hope we can help you and you dont need to go through this alone.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Meg
08-05-05, 09:35
Flyby - welcome

**some reason I have been starting to think about it again from time to time** Doesn't sound like it was really out of the blue.. Your mind has been turning it over and getting more upset and anxius about it culminating in the panic.

** I am now convinced I have got MS ** why draw those conclusions suddenly..

Umm - Is the first time you have wondered and convinced yourself about having an illness from symptoms ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
08-05-05, 10:31
Welcome aboard Flyby!! :D

mumof4
08-05-05, 11:06
Hi and welcome i was raped too as a child and i suffer with panic attacks too and im also in counclling i have had panic attacks since i was 11 and im 26 now long time i am getting better though.

florence
08-05-05, 11:09
Hi Flyby
The feelings/symtoms you're describing are definitely anxiety/panic related. You don't have to feel particularly anxious to have a panic attack, I've been there to, not being able to understand why its happening in the first place. But what happened to you 15 years ago is a heavy burden to live with, surely your subconscious hasn't forgotten any of it. I had a similar experience when i was 15, so I can relate.
Please, don't feel guilty about anything (easier said than done)...we are here to listen and support each others, and guilt is one of anxiety's friends.
Kind regards.
Florence.

** Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.**

flyby
08-05-05, 13:29
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and you are all so kind just to listen to me droning on; i sound like such a drama queen/hypochondriac. i maybe should think about counselling but i do feel as though i should have been over this years ago and that i am making a huge fuss about this all. thanks again and take care, fx

Meg
08-05-05, 17:42
Flyby,

**i do feel as though i should have been over this years ago **
Should is a 4 letter word here. There is no ' should' about it. It imposes feeling of failure straight away which you do not need plus it implies its your fault- again not true.

You are as you find yourself today and the way forward is to do your best each day to try to move forward and deal with your issues..

The incident was a big deal to your inner subconcious and it hasn't dealt with it fully yet - thus the symptoms asking for help.. You might want to think about counselling but be picky abot who you choose - ensure they've got relevent experience..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Karen
08-05-05, 22:19
Hi Flyby

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
08-05-05, 22:22
Hi Flyby

Regardless of the time length that is irrelevant, it is when and how you cope with it. You have coped but it isnt going to go away without dealing with issues. You have being through a major ordeal which will hurt you and at anytime it can be there staring you in the face.

You have opened up to us and started talking and that is a big and positive step forward.

Never feel you are a drama queen at all, we will help you all we can and you deserve all the support we can give you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

nomorepanic
09-05-05, 19:07
Hi Flyby

Welcome aboard the forum.

Sorry to hear about the rape - must have been a horrible time for you.

Don't think that you are asking for sympathy or being a drama queen. No-one on here will ever think that of anyone.

Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola