PDA

View Full Version : Different make?

Jay1979
11-08-08, 16:29
Hi,

I know I am being paranoid but just wondered if this happened to anyone else.
I am on 80mg of slow release propanolol each morning and was taking half-inderel but this time they have given me another make, begins with B cant remember the name :wacko: It says its still propanolol 80mg etc.. but just a diff make.
Has anyone else had this?

Cathy V
11-08-08, 18:32
Hi Jay, yes its just the same. I moved to germany last year and have had propranolol pescribed in both countries its exactly the same drug so dont worry, the docs know the difference.

Take care
Cathy xxx

Jay1979
11-08-08, 19:11
Thankyou thankyou Cathy :bighug1:

intense
20-08-08, 13:36
Yes, one is generic and one is brand name of the drug Propranolol. The chemical make-up is the same. Once the drug loses the exclusive license to sell it under a brand (eg, Inderal) then the other cheaper companies jump on the band wagon.

They are allowed, I think, to have +/- 10% of the dosage so they're not as exact as the brand, but usually it is not that much and is generally the same medication. For conditions like epilepsy or whatever, that need exact dosages, it's not recommended to switch brands but for Propranolol it's not really an issue.

owainm
06-09-08, 21:57
Yep same as me the new stuff is beta prograne and I was like you asked the doc was it ok, and it is