PDA

View Full Version : Panic isn't very fun at all...

JessicaTheGnome
12-08-08, 03:21
...Especially at night.

I've personally never had panic attacks during the day, I suppose it's just becuase I get myself worked up at night when I have time to think too much. I find myself calling my closer friends who stay up late at night, and I'm hoping to find a new way to calm myself down. I feel aweful for making them stay up with me. I don't have a computer or a television in my room, so I focus strictly on calming music or something to take my mind off. Often, I daydream to sleep if I can but that's very difficult. I always have trouble sleeping because of it. I've resulted with using nightlights (how embarassing..) to sleep, and it works, and the sound of running water calms me down (you have no idea how many nights I've sat hours in the bathroom to calm down) but I lack ideas to help me get to sleep. Mostly I just deal with it because I don't know how to do otherwise.

I take Zoloft at a low dose to help calm me down, and my anxiety is hereditary but...that's no excuse. My father is a bit harsh with me every panic attack and tells me that I'm fine and I struggle to believe it. It's another reason why I don't like waking my parents up. My dad gets angry because I can't control it. No matter I have tried to explain it to him, he's still frustrated, and maybe it makes my panic worse. Who knows?

...So any help? :)

chriscml
12-08-08, 11:09
I was abit like u i got my mum up n dad up but my dad was strong wiv me he wanted me 2 deal it wiv my self but i always wanted me mum there wiv me cause didnt like being alone but now im ok i understand what my dad meen cause my mum cant help me no one can except my self i started getting better wen i was dealing wiv it alone.if u want to ingnore ur panic attack just lie down and do some breathing excerises for about 20 mins that normaly helps me helps u relax.hope i helped u

Anxious_gal
12-08-08, 12:20
ha my family thinks i'm lazy that i enjoy doing nothing! god forbit i had a panic attack, the'd tell me stop looking for attention, i know the fustration of having anxiety and be made to feel like its your own fault.
make your room more peacful, have it super tidy! get some laveder, put a drop on your pillow and buy some yankee candles! i love the wax ones you put into an oil burner, the lavender and lemon one is good!
i keep an anxiety diary, i write in it mostly at night, its amazing to read it! its helpful to see how the the sillest things can send you into a panic attack you!
try some relaxing music or nature music, i love the sound of rain n streams n birds, i imagine im in a beautiful green field with a waterfall, bacause i have often used this image to relax now when i think of it, it makes me feel peacful.

JessicaTheGnome
13-08-08, 03:47
Hmm, yeah I have a few CD's like that, but I tried them in my first panic attack and now when I freak out I can't listen to them at night because they remind me of my first panic attack...which was my worst.

The diary sounds like a good idea though. I like writing, and maybe it will calm me down a little. I'll give it a try. :) Thanks!

Shone
13-08-08, 20:08
I guess people have them at different times, mine are always at night, i think its because i am always on the go during the day and its at night when i get into bed that i relax and have time to think. I try not to let my husband know now cos i feel he gets very frustrated and doesnt know what to do, i can almost here the exasperation in his voice when telling me to calm down. Its good advice about the diary, i started keeping a diary a few months back, if i am in the middle of an attack sometimes the concentration needed to write in the diary distracts me from the attack and it passes.
Good luck. x

feels_like_home
13-08-08, 21:09
I think it is hard for people who do not experience panic attacks to understand what it feels like. Most of my family is understanding, but at times even they get annoyed. I always read before bed and that seems to help me relax and keep my mind busy.