PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new

janeybee100
12-08-08, 17:29
Hello all

First, I'm so glad I found this site - I didn't know so many anxious people existed! It certainly helps to know I'm not alone!
My name is Janey. I'm 42 years ols, and although I've been a long term sufferer of depression, my physical symptoms showed up some time in early March.
It all started when I was going through some difficulties with my 15 year old daughter. I went to bed, and suddenly became aware that I was having difficulty in breathing. I became panicky, and the more I panicked, the worse it got. Then I was unable to swallow too. I treid sipping water, but eventually even that wouldn't go down (gosh! I'm panicking just thinking about it!). Eventually, I was making such a fuss that my husband called an ambulance. Well, you know what came next - they said I was just hyperventilating, and that by breathing into a paperbag all would be well. I did this for a while, and did feel a bit better, but ever since then (it's August now) I have had trouble swallowing, and feeling breathless. The swallowing is the worst though. I've been to the doctor, who said I had trachyitis, and gave me antibiotics. Well, two week's later, the symptoms were still there. So, I went to casualty one evening, and they put a camera down my throat (not something I want repeatd) and said that everything was fine, it was all anxiety, and that I should go home and have a large drink and calm down! I did that, and still the problem persisted.
Two weeks later, at work (I work nights) and I thought I was going to die! Breathless, lightheaded and still difficulty swallowing . I thought I was having a heart attack. I even had pins and needles in my hand.
So, back to casualty, where they did chest x-ray, blood tests, ecg - the full MOT, and nothing wrong.
So, I've been living like this for months, and feeling totally dreadful. Last week, I noticed ringing in my left ear, and my face started swelling, so I went to the doctor who said I have a blocked eustachian tube, to steam it twice a day, and it will go. I've been steaming, taking sudafed, and popping my ears for al I'm worth, but it's still there.
Now, I've noticed a clicking when I swallow (but not when I eat) and my throat feels all 'crunchy'.
Am I going insane? The doctors tell me there's nothing really wrong, but surely all this can't be down to stress?
If anyone has any ideas, please help!
Thanks - it feels good just to offload!
Janey

Southern_Belle
12-08-08, 19:51
Hi Janey,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and you will get support. Glad you are here.

Take care,

Laura

kellie
12-08-08, 20:33
Hiya Hun :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here.
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurane and make some great friends along the way.
Yes anxiety and panic can give you all those symptoms
The throat one ive had for about a year on and off and it drives me crazy.
Its all down to tense throat muscles
Here are some of my throat symptoms

feeling like something is stuck in there
food not going down to well some times
sometimes feeling like a hair is in it
feel like im choaking
tickley feeling making me cough
dry throat and mouth
and more

mine seems to get worse when my 3 teen girls start world war 3 with each other
teens are not good for anx/panic ill tell you.

ways to reduce this are
make sure you are not jaw clenching ( we tend to do that a lot when stressed)
check you aint holding your tounge to the roof of your mouth
and some nice deep slow breathing.
kill the kids and bury them in the garden :yesyes: JUST KIDDING.:D

keep posting and we will help you as much as we can.

take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxx

lorac
12-08-08, 21:09
Hello Janey

You will find many people on here that understand what you are going through and will offer good advice and support.

Take care

Carol

nomorepanic
12-08-08, 21:56
Hi Janey

A warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

jill
12-08-08, 22:10
Hi hun :D:hugs:

:welcome:to the site,

You are not alone on how you feel, people on hear understand what you are going through. You ARE NOT going insane hun, please don't think this. It will be helpfull for you to read first steps, how to cope, this is on the left hand side. GREAT INFO.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

janeybee100
12-08-08, 22:35
Gosh! Thank you all for the warm welcome - I feel better already. I can't believe I've found such a wonderful haven of support.
Still struggling with the throat issue, but knowing that it's so common I feel much better about it.
I'm gonna have a good look around, and try and pick up some tips for coping.
Thanks, and warm wishes to you all
Janey
xxx

Lindalou64
13-08-08, 13:54
Hello Janey And Welcome To The Site, I Wish Ya Well, Linda

milly jones
13-08-08, 20:28
Hi hun

a warm nmp welcome to u

hope that u gain as much support and help here as i do

love milly xxxx

dianes
13-08-08, 21:04
:welcome: to NMP Janey, it's hard to believe that all those symptoms are related to anxiety isn't it? but it's true they are. :ohmy: As suggested, reading the info on here will help you understand what and why it happens. You will get lots of help/support/and advice from everyone on here:yesyes:

:hugs: :hugs: to you

Diane
'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'