PDA

View Full Version : Ectopic or something more sinister?

pi_panic
13-08-08, 16:41
Hey,

I've gotten skipped beats all my adult life (20+ years), I get what feels like a skipped beat once a week, sometimes a few times a day, or even (for 6 stressful months) many times a day.

I'm used to these, a momentary 'shock' as I realize my heart has missed a beat and then back to normal - except of course the anxiety it causes.

(I suffer from anxiety attacks all my life as well)

The last 6 months I've had 3 unusual episodes (including tonight)

I'll be sitting down at the computer (or somewhere) and my heart feels like it goes out of whack, I can't tell if it's multiple fast skipped beats all in a row, or if it's completely irregular. But it's sure scary.

It last for just about 5 seconds, long enough to startle me, make me jump out of my chair, cough hard (as I read this can reset it) and head for the door - sometimes I pound my chest a few times - and anyway - after 5 seconds or so it's back to normal - not even fast...

Does anyone else get these? is it just ectopics or something worse?

I don't get dizzy, lightheaded, no pain - just a 5 second run of weird thumping and then back to normal..

I can't work, sleep tonight - as I'm living with so much anxiety about it - I've already taken half a xanax but not much help.

Anyone had similar?

Thanks

Cathy V
13-08-08, 16:51
Hi there. Like you and many ppl on this forum, ive suffered with skipped heartbeats since my 20s (im 54 now!) and from what you describe this sounds like you also get the occasional flutter too. Its like waiting for a skipped beat that doesnt come and you feel like you heart takes a long time to beat again, like theres a huge gap and it can freak me out too. I also move towards the door in panic as im coughing! These episodes dont happen as often as the skipped beats and i dont react as badly as i once did with them, because i sort of know that my heart wont stop because of it, but it can still be scary when it happens.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx

pi_panic
13-08-08, 17:03
Thanks Cathy for the reply.

I'm a guy, and it's not always easy to be a frigging coward your whole life. I can be doing fine for months and then whammy - i'm reduced to a kid again about my heart stopping or with anxiety symptoms that are over the top.

What's the quote about a 'coward dies a thousand deaths and a brave man only dies once?'

The only good thing that's come out of a life of anxiety and palps is that when I do feel 'good' - i really do appreciate life, and what i have. I think without constantly believing I was about to drop dead that I wouldn't feel the elation.

I can deal with the anxiety - I can deal with the single palps - but these new multiple irregular ones really push my buttons and make me feel terrified all over again.

stm93
15-08-08, 11:25
I had similar episode last night. To be fair, I had lots of alcohol and too much food, so I kinda expected something, but NOT this - I am lying in my bed, can't sleep at all, and at 3:40 AM my heart suddenly stops, starts spasming like crazy, no regular beat at all, just this mad spasming (can't think of a better word). I am not even sure if I was awake coz now it seems like I had another 'sleep paralysis' moment, I jump and scream involuntary (like in a bad dream) and think 'this is it - end of my life'. However, I know it's not heart attack (which is the biggest scare of my life), because I can still breathe, I feel no pain, no sweating, not even real fear. So after 10 seconds, or so, all gets back to normal, heartbeat was a bit fast for a minute or two. Scary moment, but now it seems like a bad dream. Go figure what that was - panic attack, dream, heart problems. Really annoying... I just wish I had caught this moment on 24 hours Holter tape I had done 3 weeks ago! It was definitely NOT a simple skipped beat, coz I now simple skipped beats all too well and they don't frighten me anymore, only these 'spasming' moments.
Anyone know what the hell that is????

pi_panic
15-08-08, 11:38
stm 93:

Yeah this sounds about right. You have a history of normal palps (enough that they no longer bother you) - but then the recent wild 5-10 second thing freaks you out.

I'm not sure if there's a pattern in it or not - it doesn't really last long enough for me to tell - it just seems like for 5 seconds it beats wildly with no ryhthm, and then goes back to normal.

I read alot about it on the board - and am still not sure what's going on, I know I've had 3 in the last year, (maybe a fourth that woke me up from sleep) and I've so far (fingers crossed) survived all 3 - so it must be survivable.. They haven't gotten longer but they sure are frightening - so bad that there is no way you could sit still through it..

Let me know if you learn more about it - as I'm in the same boat. In the meantime I've made some life changes - stopped drinking alcohol (at least for now, eating tons of veggies and fruit, and started exercising) if it's going to get me - it's going to get me while i try to make a better life - not cowering in fear.

;)

Good luck.

Lexi
15-08-08, 12:27
Hiya!!
I get this occaisionally saw a cardio went private and had an echo, tape and ecg and even before the echo just on the reults of the ecg/tape i explained the situation and tapped out a crazy rythm with my knuckles and he laughed and said it would feel utterly utterly terrifying but harmless.

I asked if i could drop dead from it and he responded well certainly not from your heart! I still struggle to believe it sometimes!

You'll be fine! Good luck!!

Mikke
15-08-08, 23:01
Mine also came mostly while I was working on my computer.
I found out there was to main reasons for this:

- I am stressed when I'm working
- When you sit leaned forward at your screen, the top of your stomach will be pressed into the chest area, so you notice them easier, just like when your are laying down on your left side.

I had a tendency to sit a bit chrunched while working on my computer, and a better posture helped a lot. I guess they will still appear from the stress, but at least when I'm sitting up straight I wonn't notice them.

debera
16-08-08, 01:06
hi
yes i get this too. can be just sitting there and my heart goes all wonky. or else it can feel like your heart is stalling then starts beating normal again. i have had these ectopics and skipped beats for two year now. they started after my mother passed away. i can go for awhile with out any and then they come with a vengence. very scarey but all down to anxitey
debera:hugs: :hugs: