PDA

View Full Version : Throat Problems and Breathlessness

springblossom
13-08-08, 20:57
Hello everyone,

I know there are many threads devoted to throat problems and hyperventilation, but I was wondering if there are members who experience these symptoms together.

For the past month or so I have a sensation that my throat is full and constricted and my palate always seems arched. My uvula seems swollen also with all the constant swallowing and throat-clearing. Can the throat swell with globus hystericus?

Alongside this symptom I have constant breathlessness and find myself unable to get a deep, satisfying breath.

These symptoms are taking over my life. I do practise yoga and breathing exercises but I feel as though I'm never going to regain control of my throat and breathing symptoms ever again.

Has anyone conquered these symptoms? Any advice and/or comments greatly appreciated.

H :blush:

gtrgrl3369
14-08-08, 01:50
Having this sypmtom is horrible, but it is anxiety related. It seems as if there is something is there and there isnt and you feel as though your throat and tonsills are swollen, they arent. I had this for awhile and the only advice I can give you is to not give into it. Anxiety is fear of the unknown and the more we give in to it the worse the symptoms get. As hard as it sounds you have to stay relaxed when this happens so it doesnt make it worse. Good for you on the yoga, at least you know how to breathe properly. Dont worry so much about the satisfying breath, your body will do everything on its own. Take care.:yesyes:

maryann
14-08-08, 13:52
hi there i have this problem at the moment where im constant swallowing all the time its horrid and i sometimes feel im swallowing loads in a minute are you the same is your ears affected by this at all ive suddenly developed a clicking /kinda noise in my right ear since anyway ive had all these symptoms you describe is your throat sore by the way what is your uvula

Charlottie
14-08-08, 17:46
Joyce you can't intrude on other people's posts asking for help, try and help them! Your uvula is the dangly bit in the back of your throat.

These do sound like anxiety symptoms and distaction is the only way to get rid of them usually. As hard as it is, as soon as you forget about them the symptoms will go away. I have the unable to breathe symptom a lot, especially last night as I was nervous about my a-level results. I just lay down and breathed slowly until I fell asleep.

springblossom
15-08-08, 18:56
Thank you for the notes of reassurance :)

Does anyone find that the longer the anxiety symptoms are present the harder they can be to shift?

maryann
15-08-08, 22:20
yes very much so especially if you focus on them for long periods of time

ams
15-08-08, 22:39
This has happened to me. My remedy? Distraction, distraction, distraction.

springblossom
16-08-08, 15:22
Thanks guys. Has anyone suffered these symptoms and conquered them?

springblossom
02-12-09, 19:55
Could this be related to air conditioning?

I work in an airconditioned office and the vent is right above my head and blows air out very loudy all day, every day.

Could it be this, or am I just blaming something other than the anxiety?