PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 no smoking!!

Captain America
13-08-08, 23:48
Hi all!

Just wanted to say it's day 5 of no smoking for me!! couple rough spots but overall not bad, just avoiding the computer at home since that's a place i'd do it.

honestly if you're thinking of trying, go for it! compared to a panic attack a nicotine fit is a walk in the park.

okay maybe not, but certainly manageable. and my baseline anxiety is already much lower than 5 days ago.

and of course it's given me a focus for my anxiety other than heart problems, so that's good too. finally using my anxiety for good instead of evil!!

that's all. wish me luck on day 6 tomorrow!!!!

marie1974
13-08-08, 23:51
oh welldone u, i wish my hubby would giv up, he keeps saying he will, i hate it.

stay positive and keep us posted. hugs xxx

Cathy V
13-08-08, 23:57
Yes, well done keep going! i gave up 6 years ago after smoking for 35 years (had my first one at age 14 would you believe) it took me 3 attempts but i got there. What got through to me in the end was a TV ad in UK (one of many) but this one said simply "Don't give up giving up" so i didnt!

Good luck anyway
Cathy V xxx

Trixie
14-08-08, 06:09
Well done!

A few years ago someone I knew from going into a shop where I live was talking about holidays. She mentioned a particular place that she and her family always wanted to go to but couldn't afford. I knew she smoked and said that perhaps if she gave up she would be able to go the following year. She thought about this but shook her head.

Anyway about a week later she told me that she had given up smoking the day before, I congratulated her and told her that the money she would spend on a packet of cigarettes every day (£4 app') she must put in a special jar.

She persevered and after a month she had saved over £100. This came as a shock to her as she didn't realise just how much a month she spent on cigarettes.

So if you want an incentive to give up just think how much money you will be able to save and what you can do with it.

GOOD LUCK:yesyes:

jodie
14-08-08, 06:36
hiya

wow welldone you are doing well keep it up i am sure it will make you feel better in the end ,cathy you did well to ,to stop after smokeing all that time:yesyes:

jodie xxx

seeker
14-08-08, 10:10
Yay! Well done! I have given up for about two years now,although I am still sucking the nicotine sweets. Benefits are too many to mention, but I have definitely reduced my HA as a result. I can breathe! And don't wake up wheezing, or stinking. And it's so much easier going out now, with the smoking ban, too. Keep going - watch out for the three/six month lull, thogh, where you think 'one won't hurt'! It will!!

DrGreenThumb
14-08-08, 11:13

Nechtan
14-08-08, 13:09
Great stuff Captain America. :yesyes:

I hope you keep it up. If you are feeling better and your anxiety level has dropped then I hope that is incentive enough to keep at it.

All the best

Nechtan

nanny
14-08-08, 13:35
:yesyes: :yesyes:

A Huge well done you good luck for days 6 7 8 9 etc etc etc

Wish i could do it:lac:

mary8
14-08-08, 13:56
Well Done !!! - I don't smoke myself but the only way I can appreciate how difficult it must be to give up is if someone told me I could never have another glass of wine!! - don't get me wrong, I'm not an alcoholic or anything but I do enjoy the odd glass or 2.
Keep up the good work, you will reap the benefits long term.

Captain America
14-08-08, 15:12
thanks everyone

had my first 'smoking' dream last night and it was just as people described. like it's nothing special you're just doing it but then you wake up feeling guilty.

are cramps and odd pains here and there common withdrawal symptoms?

ah, don't answer. it's just my anxiety looking for reassurance again....

Sallysdream
20-08-08, 23:08
thanks everyone

had my first 'smoking' dream last night and it was just as people described. like it's nothing special you're just doing it but then you wake up feeling guilty.

are cramps and odd pains here and there common withdrawal symptoms?

ah, don't answer. it's just my anxiety looking for reassurance again....

how is the no smoking doing??? I gave up 2 months ago. That is the only good thing I had from my PA's. Was starting to panick about smoking and went cold turkey. :yahoo:

Ddcoo
22-08-08, 14:18
Keep up the good work - it's 17 years since I stopped smoking, but my partner does and he has tried 3 times to give up but says he is going to try again while we are on holiday. This may make you laugh but when I first gave up and I was at home, I walked around the house with a babies dummy (pacifier) in my mouth, either that or chewed chewing gum, it seemed to help.

Best of luck - Ddcoo

Sallysdream
22-08-08, 17:48
lol.....just imagined adults with a dummy in their mouth. The inhalers are quite good too I must say.

Captain America
25-08-08, 17:46
day 17!

day 14 was very hard. i work right next to a smoker and he kept going out for one. 'twas all i could do to not join him!!

but i made it, and here i am on day 17.

the funny part is, i don't feel the addition anymore. i just want to do it. i suppose if you don't addres why you started in the first place it makes staying stopped a little tougher. i did find this though, that for some reason keeps me in line. i don't know what makes this so special, but it got to me for some reason:

An external chemical has caused the brain reward pathways -- the mind?s priorities teacher -- to convince the deep inner mind that regular nicotine feedings are the #1 priority in life, more important than family, friends, eating, hostile weather, romance, health or life itself.

Captain America
25-08-08, 17:48
oh and speaking of dummies, there was this trend around here in my area of teh US where club kids were using pacifiers as drug dispensers. you'd see a 22 year old guy, checking out girls and dancing around with a pacifier in his mouth.

i'm not kidding. it was really goofy.

Sallysdream
25-08-08, 22:13
lol...would have liked to see that one. Glad u r keeping up the good work. It will become easier from now on. When people smoke next to me or go out and come back in after smokng i just think that I am glad I do not need to do that annoymore and notice how mch they stink