PDA

View Full Version : Labyrinthitis sufferers

LeeBee
16-08-08, 22:49
Just wondering if many of us had or have labyrinthitis. Although I've had anxiety and a couple of panic attacks in the past, since I developed labyrinthitis about 3 weeks ago my anxiety - centred around my health - seems to have got worse. I even had a panic attack out of the blue in the middle of the night about 2 weeks after it started - the whole heart-bursting-out-of-the-chest bit - really scary.

The labyrinthitis has pretty much cleared up now and the anxiety is subsiding but I still feel more anxious and jittery than usual and I've been getting some anxiety symptoms that I've never had before such as weakness in the legs and trembling.

I have read that labyrinthitis can induce or exacerbate anxiety. Anyone else ever find this to be the case?

milly jones
16-08-08, 22:54
i had labyrinthitis way before i was diagnosed with anx, and was told that it was not linked. mine lasted 3 months.

ive since had vertigo again, and again was told separate illness. betahistine is helping reduce the episodes.

i find this hard to believe myself.

currently having tests for menieres cos of tinitus too, again not realted to anx?????

all the best

milly xx

decca
16-08-08, 23:01
Yea it has for me, I've had Labrynthitis since last September and that's when my anxiety started , I think it the fright of suddenly waking up in the middle of the night with the room spinning, everytime I feel a bit wobbly on my pins it triggers a PA.
I've posted this link before but I think it describes it perfectly.
http://www.labyrinthitis.org.uk/

Decca.

LeeBee
17-08-08, 01:54
Thanks for the link decca, it's a really good site :)

tayside lassie
17-08-08, 07:48
hiya leebee..i too suffer with labyrinthitis have done off/on for a couple of years and although it does not cause anxiety the symptoms of labyrinthitis certainly DOES cause anxiety ..mines is real bad after a heavy cold and being a sinus sufferer does not help ...

i hope it does not have any lasting effect on you "anxiety wise "

sally..

shaunyboi69
03-03-09, 18:55
I am currently experiencing labyrinthitis and aint good. I get dizzy but not that i can walk around without a problem. my ears are very sensitive to noise and i do get ringing in ears. everytime i get up i go dizzy for a little bit then im ok. My eyesight is a bit out of focus bt nothing wrong with vision coz had eye test. I have had it for a week but aint bin feeling myself for 3. i think anxiety and stress triggered it. it bin a week so far of having the symptoms so hopefully it goes soon :D

MattG
15-10-10, 12:39
Hi There,

I've been suffering with Labyrinthitis now for approximately 7 weeks. It began being triggered by travel (via car, train, bus etc) but has since developed a trigger response to fluorescent lighting, and lack of daylighting in a room, as well as loud music.

I took almost 4 weeks off work because of the illness and since returning to work, i have been experiencing panic attacks whenever people talk to me without me initiating the conversation.

I've done a little reading on it, and i recommend taking a flick through the wikipedia page on labyrinthitis (http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/labyrinthitis). It's got a lot of information on the theories around what causes labyrinthitis-based panic attacks, and some things doctors may prescribe to deal with it.

If you're worried about labyrinthitis symptoms, i suggest just taking a read around the internet - maybe the UK NHS website (www.nhs.uk) and such places. I've been worried about it for quite some time, and simply the act of reading up on it and gaining an understanding of what you're going through can help a LOT.

Best Wishes,

Matt

JavaJoy01
16-11-10, 02:07
My doc just diagnosed me with it.. I had a weird case.. For me, the room looked like it was moving back and fourth. When I looked at that site that was posted, it said the room would look like it was on a swing.. that about describes it, on a swing going left to right.. It made me nauseous and dizzy and bad balance..

It's since stopped but I still feel funky (Which could be from the flu shot I also got today)..

sammykaye
18-09-13, 13:15
I have labyrinthitis at the minute but I feel lightheaded/foggy headed, nausea, ringing in my ears, sore neck and at present I think I had an anxiety attack last night - took myself to bed after thinking I had shakes/jitters from not eating enough and found that I struggled to get to sleep because afte I was nodding off it was like my body forgot to breath an I would shock myself awake :-( not nice
Thought the labyrinthitis was getting better after having it for nearly 7 weeks now , saw my doctor on Friday and he said I have fluid behind the eardrums in both ears as well as white dot on one tonsil. I've been off work since the beginning of August as I find computer screens, supermarkets, bright lighting and crowds trigger dizzy moments - and I work in a supermarket on the till! Not good. Did get so low that I was thinking if giving up work but I have barely ha panic attacks the last few years and then started again in may but I was ok controlling them, then I had one end of July and got sick with labyrinthitis shortly afterwards and they have been horrible since. Currently enjoying the idea of choking on everything I try to eat which is a new one to me - fun!!!!!

Shivmarie
20-09-13, 11:32
Hey all, i think this is what i have. Its a spaced out feeling, eyes feel unfocused, dizzy but not vertigo? its strange i started a new job on Monday and it came back, last time i had it i was at my old job. I had a 6 week break of working and i was fine so maybe computer screens are my trigger? Its not very nice, im on antibiotics for an 'inner ear' issue and spray for a fungal ear infection also, my hearings going in my right ear so the docs referring me to ENT. Do you think it could be this?

Megb4387
02-04-14, 21:31
Hey everyone. I'm currently suffering from labyrinthitis and boy does it stink. I feel like I have lost my life. Headaches, room is moving all the time, ringing in one ear, pressure and so much more. :(

HoneyLove
02-04-14, 23:20
Hey meg, sorry to head about what you're going through. I've had trouble with vertigo too and it's really horrible, so I hope you're feeling better soon x