PDA

View Full Version : Without a Parachute

never2late
18-08-08, 00:40
Everywhere I go, there are several things that I MUST have with me: My "just in case" xanax tablets; a few aspirin to chew quickly in case I find myself having a heart attack (how silly is all this, really?); one blood pressure pill because my BP goes sky high when I have a panic attack; and my cell phone ready and programmed to dial 911 at any given moment. No one sees these things, but they have been with me at all times. Always prepared and it makes me feel safe to know that everything is with me in case of an emergency.

My family is now on vacation, and today I took my wife up into the mountains to join them. I had to come back for an engagement tomorrow (hence being on the computer now), but will join them in the afternoon.

However, everyone wanted to hike up to the summit of one of our upstate mountains which we are staying on. And guess what? I decided to leave EVERYTHING back at the house -- and go totally solo.

Now, this is no small feat, because if anything happens to you up there, you're in a world of hurt. There is no cell phone reception, so someone would have to go back for help. The closest hospital is one hour away (over land).

How did it all work out without taking anything with me at all? Fine.

At first, as we began to reach the uphill areas and my heart started beating faster (a "normal" faster), I became a bit apprehensive -- and that apprehension started a bit of anxiety. I knew that the anxiety was being caused by the apprehension, and not from ANYthing else, so I just let it go. Truth be told, I really don't care anymore. As some of you know, I just plain fed up.

So we make it up to the summit/overlook and it a beautiful view out to the horizon looking out over what looked like the entire world. My heart was beating pretty fast from the climb (we walked up the mountain road), but I just let it beat in my chest. I figured if I were to die there and then, I probably could not have chosen a more beautiful place or time to say goodbye.

I guess my brain/mind couldn't really grab hold on to anything to make me panic under these circumstances, so in a relatively short time, my heart slowed down to its normal pace again. And I felt triumphant.

It was a wonderful moment with my family and extended family all there, and I was glad to be alive.

When I go up tomorrow, there are other activities planned, such as white water rafting down the rapids; etc. -- so I'll see if I'll do the same, or if one time is enough for a little while. There's no sense pushing too hard. Step by step.

Little triumphs lead into big victories.

mothermac
18-08-08, 01:42
That is absolutely brilliant and well done you for conquering your fear, it must have taken a lot of inner strength to leave everything behind like that. We sometimes don't know what we can achieve when we suffer from something like anxiety because the fear of feeling the fear is so strong,fear breeds fear and it nearly always wins with me. Your family must have been so pleased for you and now you can go ahead and enjoy another outing with them with the knowledge that yes sometimes the puzzle peices do fit.
I hope you enjoy your white water rafting but don't push yourself too hard,just take it easy as like you say step by step.
Anxiety is a prison but with time and patience you are breaking free,well done.
xxx

purplehaze
18-08-08, 02:15
Hey

I am so DAM HAPPY for you because I/WE on this site know how difficult that was for you and I would give you a big hug...emmmm man hug that is...lol

Thanks for sharing that

kev

pooh
18-08-08, 02:20
Hi

I can relate to the parachute analogy. I have my phone and my emergency diazepam. They tend to go with me everywhere. Recently though I too have been trying to fly solo so its greatr to read of someone else achieving things too.

Well done you

Pooh x

bostonbuttafly25
18-08-08, 06:34
very inspiring thank you for your great story i hope to try this myself. good for you! so proud keep going

polly123
18-08-08, 08:10
Hiya
Well done you, i understand the feeling of taking all these things with you, i call them my dummies lol, i cant go without my diazepam, paperbag smelling salts and asthma inhala even though i dont have asthma i feel safe with them on board so you can understand why i carry a rather large handbag everywhere with me ha ha, i have also tried going for short walks etc etc without them and so far so good, so i hope like you i can keep it up
POLLY

marie1974
18-08-08, 09:55
hiya and welldone you conquering your fear like that, i also understand the need to take all your bits with you. you will have such a lovely time and i think you are being very brave.

since i have known you i have always loved the fact that you have a lovely good family support and network around you and you have such lovely times with them and i think that is so very nice, cos they help you through the anxious times whether we realise it at the time or not.

have lots of fun and tell us all about it when u back. hugs to u my friend xx